vfrdave

33 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should the scaffold companies not be prosecuted if they leave you incomplete or non-certified erections that you've paid good money for ? 

The problem is that every man and his dog will change the scaffold the moment your back is turned.  Everyone on our site, with no exceptions, changed the scaffold around at least once, sometimes a few times.  There's no way a scaffold company can constantly monitor what contractors do after they've erected a properly certified scaffold.  I did notice that our scaffolding guys always took a few photos with their phone after they had left from either the main erection or the couple of times I called them back to change the position of lifts.  I would guess that was them covering their backside in the event of the scaffold being altered.

Bet there are a few here that want to 'chop the bollocks off' a builder.

As for mock court cases, I seem to remember a story about Baden-Powell (of boyscout fame) having a mock trial in Africa, to show how the English legal system worked.

They got some village elder to act as the defendant.  Held the trial and found him guilty (no surprise there).

Then the executed him.

No idea if it is true or not, but makes me look at the boyscout movement in a different light.

Edited by SteamyTea

21 hours ago, JSHarris said:

The problem is that every man and his dog will change the scaffold the moment your back is turned.  Everyone on our site, with no exceptions, changed the scaffold around at least once, sometimes a few times.  There's no way a scaffold company can constantly monitor what contractors do after they've erected a properly certified scaffold.  I did notice that our scaffolding guys always took a few photos with their phone after they had left from either the main erection or the couple of times I called them back to change the position of lifts.  I would guess that was them covering their backside in the event of the scaffold being altered.

I'd say more to let them know how many lifts / elevations they'd put up so they know if any is missing ? A big job I was on shut down over Xmas and when we returned the scaffolders had been and collected over 2/3's of the scaffolding. Only they hadn't...

Neigbours said a big wagon reversed up the drive in the middle of the day, stripped it all down, banging and clanging shouting etc, bold as brass, and nicked the bloody lot. Left the crap / difficult bits behind. 

21 hours ago, JSHarris said:

We had full height scaff erected around the basement ahead of the frame erection and the MBC boys needed to knock it about as it was too tight at the top. Then the window installer had to trim a few tubes to get the sliding doors in, and finally we had to lift a board and adjust tubes for the render guys. The (rather scary) scaff guy came onsite one day and was pissed off - wanted £1500 to put it right before he'd take it down.

Next day I came home to see Brendan cheerfully dismantling more scaff around our utility room to make way for the garage :/ Luckily the render guys were excellent and tweaked the scaff as they went so the scaff guy had no cause for complaint when he arrived to take it down.

Top tip - if you do cut tubes for whatever reason - dump them in the skip asap and if possible swap the tubes around so the cut ends are not visible. It's the first thing they noice...

As for H&S, never came near us and we had a large build with basement excavation etc.. however we are down a cul de sac so had to notice in passing. I know Herb J got collared the day his frame was being delivered and that caused quite a few days of delay for him .

I've been really lucky with my scaffolder. The boss man is a really nice guy and has been very accommodating. Even his team are really nice guys, friendly, chatty and helpful. Not a knuckle dragger in sight. :) 

Edited by Barney12