Once more unto the breach dear friends anyone got £10K they can afford to lose?

Another day another dollar well £50 million if you are Kevin mcCloud. You cannot help but applauding his drive and wish him well with this venture but you need to be knowledgeable investor and its a risk but at least it might move things forward. On the other end of the scale your man from Redrow mentioned on the Today programme this morning that once brexit brings the flow of EU tradesmen to a stop building in London and the SE will also stop. Perhaps if instead of short term profit they should have invested in making 'trades' sexy and lucrative for bright kids who don't want 'pure brain / talking work' and then offered them an apprenticeship and then paid them well. The levy was never big enough to allow the CiTB to get any traction in schools and across a society, establishment, that has driven a wedge into our society around a degree for one half of the population and not provided a positive image for trades on the other side for which there is clearly a demand - some body get a grip. Rant over.

• Like 1

Not exactly got a great track record, has he?

Grand Designs is full of BS, like the "eco" home that really has a SAP band F rating (goodness knows how they managed that),  wildly inaccurate claims about the performance of products, and to top it all, his development at Swindon showed a staggering lack of competence when it came to basic design, plus some of the daft features he came up with just failed to work.

I think he should stick to presenting TV programmes, rather than try an compete with the big developers, as I doubt this project will end well..........

It probably was Kevin McCloud.  In several of the programmes he's made completely clueless remarks about stuff that defy the laws of physics.  He's a designer, and as such has always been very much focussed on the design and artistic aspects of stuff, which is fine; he just doesn't seem to understand the technical stuff very well, and would be better admitting as much and getting someone else to do it.

Come Wednesday commeth 'da man' again as the new series of Grand designs starts. I have no doubt we will chew it over here. It does seem that Kevin can be a bit short sighted in not controlling the message in enough detail, while being so far sighted as to want to sort out our housing crisis - well a corner of it anyway. @JSHarris has pointed out that he should probably not try to compete with the big housebuilders - dead right they are truly awful so one might argue that anything, albeit somewhat flawed, has to be a step in the right direction. What he, Kevin, needs is help - not cash but genuine support in trying new ways forward. I have a good mind to write to him, point out build hub and get him some help.

• Like 1

Kevin McCloud's developments have got better each time.

Bristol, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire

Notably safe, southern, areas, but I do not think that a 4.8% return is enough.

I can get a lot more than that peer to peer lending to businesses secured against property.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

35 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Notably safe, southern, areas, but I do not think that a 4.8% return is enough.

I can get a lot more than that peer to peer lending to businesses secured against property.

If you can get better than 4.8% then why is everybody not doing it. I suspect because it's not regulated, we perhaps have not adjusted our ROI meters back a sensible return over a slightly increased period to allow a business to florish and we have forgotten that if a thing looks to good to be true then it probably is to good to be true O.o.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

If you can get better than 4.8% then why is everybody not doing it. I suspect because it's not regulated, we perhaps have not adjusted our ROI meters back a sensible return over a slightly increased period to allow a business to florish and we have forgotten that if a thing looks to good to be true then it probably is to good to be true O.o.

Absolutely, not regulated - which is the same category as Kevin McCloud's product.

The one I was thinking of was folk2folk, which is a Cornish B2B peer lender with a good record who offer 6.5% secured against an asset. 

I think his profile - and to be fair track record now - lets him make it fly at a lower rate, as it is thought to have a higher likelihood of success.

The money will be used to buy land and start construction on houses

The £50m will help to finance a tenfold increase in development, with sites for 675 homes identified around Bristol, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire with a gross value of about £170m.

Just doing some numbers..

£50m divided by 600 is £83,000 per house.

£170m divided by 600 is £283,000

The first £10m of the cash raised by McCloud will finance the construction of Elderberry Walk in Southmead, Bristol, which is scheduled to begin later this year.

That's a development of 150 apartments and houses.

https://www.habhousing.co.uk/development/elderberry-walk-southmead

£10m divided by 150 is £66,666

That's not very much per apartment/house.

18 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

What he, Kevin, needs is help

18 hours ago, curlewhouse said:

You know Mike, joking apart, that's not a bad idea!

Reminded me that I emailed the production office about

20 hours ago, Crofter said:

"high thermal mass"

19 hours ago, JSHarris said:

It probably was Kevin McCloud

I said:

Will you make sure that the term 'thermal mass' is not used.  There is
no such thing in science.
There is thermal energy and mass, they are not connected.

They said:

Thanks for your comment. We will will do our best to ensure correct terminology is used.