Fermacell jointing?

jack

Hi

I have Fermacell lining my plant room and garage. We weren't able to get hold of the special glue used between the boards in time to use it for the initial installation, so left a gap with the intention of back-filling it with Fermacell Jointing Compound. This is a resin-based plaster filler that is, presumably, stronger than standard plasterboard fillers.

I'm having a devil of a time getting hold of this stuff at the moment. I'm now at the point where I'm considering using a standard plasterboard filler. I appreciate that the strength won't be as high as with the correct stuff, but these aren't mission critical areas, so I doubt that'll be an issue.

Any thoughts about whether there are any issues using plasterboard jointing compounds with Fermacell? Assuming not, any suggestions about which jointing compound (or other product) to use to minimise the chance of cracking?

Thanks as always.

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I don't know anything about Fermacell but dot and dab adhesive dries pretty darn hard?

Something like: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Gypsum-Based-Plasterboard-Adhesive-25kg/p/141933

And is a pita to sand back. Bearing in mind you don't want to work too hard removing it and risk marking the face of the FC. ;)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jack said:

Hi

I have Fermacell lining my plant room and garage. We weren't able to get hold of the special glue used between the boards in time to use it for the initial installation, so left a gap with the intention of back-filling it with Fermacell Jointing Compound. This is a resin-based plaster filler that is, presumably, stronger than standard plasterboard fillers.

I'm having a devil of a time getting hold of this stuff at the moment. I'm now at the point where I'm considering using a standard plasterboard filler. I appreciate that the strength won't be as high as with the correct stuff, but these aren't mission critical areas, so I doubt that'll be an issue.

Any thoughts about whether there are any issues using plasterboard jointing compounds with Fermacell? Assuming not, any suggestions about which jointing compound (or other product) to use to minimise the chance of cracking?

Thanks as always.

Gyprock joint cement is fine

prime with SBR several hours before

• Like 1

I suppose this all depends on what finish you want. It is your plant room are you going to just slap a coat of paint on to keep it all clean or our you expecting a finish to match the rest of the house. 

Also is it taper edge board or square edge. 

If if you want a finish to match the rest of the house I wouldn't use anything but what is recommended by fermacel. 

I have installed 3 square edge boards in a scruffy boot room area we have and have just run a bead of white ct1 along the joints and painted, it looks fairly respectable and would be fine for a plant room/ boot room/ dog kipping area. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend wetting the joint, say a metre at a time, and fill it as your go before it dries out. It'll help th filler to key to the FC and don't forget to force it in with some welly. Apply the filler once from left to right, scrape and reapply from right to left so as to fully saturate the gap and get good adhesion both sides. Don't leave too much excess on either. 

10 minutes ago, nod said:

Gyprock joint cement is fine

prime with SBR several hours before

Toupret self primes ;). Another part of the process removed = more time swigging ale. ?? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just returning to this (September last year? Jaysus!) and now about to order the materials for this job.

In addition to the fermacell walls, I also have to tape and join some TE boards on the ceiling.

Given the amount I have to do, for price reasons I'm going to use some sort of Gyproc filler. Their joint filler is cheap, but it says in this guide that you can't use joint filler as a final coat. Is that an installation issue (eg, too hard to sand) or just an aesthetic one?

For TE boards, any preference to using Easi-fill for both, or Joint Filler first with, eg, Joint Cement over the top?

@nod - any thoughts?

Thanks

1 hour ago, jack said:

Just returning to this (September last year? Jaysus!) and now about to order the materials for this job.

In addition to the fermacell walls, I also have to tape and join some TE boards on the ceiling.

Given the amount I have to do, for price reasons I'm going to use some sort of Gyproc filler. Their joint filler is cheap, but it says in this guide that you can't use joint filler as a final coat. Is that an installation issue (eg, too hard to sand) or just an aesthetic one?

For TE boards, any preference to using Easi-fill for both, or Joint Filler first with, eg, Joint Cement over the top?

@nod - any thoughts?

Thanks

Use the joint filler sparingly 

Hard work to sand if you get any high spots

quiksand for top coat Build up in several coats sponge the edges 

7044A779-0285-4CB7-BBAE-0034FA83F690.jpeg

• Thanks 1

For absolute final filling, easifill normally will suffice if your painting ( then rubbing down the paint as a fine filler ) Toupret is the best I've used so far. 

You can accelerate the drying times with a hairdryer without compromising the filler and it feathers out to nothing ( unlike the joint filler which is coarser by comparison which 'maps' around the edges sometimes.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

For absolute final filling, easifill normally will suffice if your painting ( then rubbing down the paint as a fine filler ) Toupret is the best I've used so far. 

You can accelerate the drying times with a hairdryer without compromising the filler and it feathers out to nothing ( unlike the joint filler which is coarser by comparison which 'maps' around the edges sometimes.  

Yep but don’t get joint filler and joint cement confused

joint cement is very fine

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nod said:

Agreed, but what does it say in the bag ? If it doesn't say finish / filler then you need a product that can be feathered out to nothing ( if it's on display for eg ). 

On 06/06/2018 at 18:37, nod said:

Right, got the suggested stuff. I now need to buy some tools.

I understand that I need some flexible plastering knives. I have some TE to tape and fill as well as joints between fermacell. What combination of sizes do you think would do the trick? 

Anyone have thoughts on a particular brand or set worth buying or avoiding? I don't mind paying (a little bit more) for something decent, but only if it'll make life easier and/or give a better result. 

For the TA, I'm assuming scrim tape is easier to use for a first timer than paper, yes?