Online Calculators

SteamyTea

After the silly mistake I made working out the energy needed to heat some water (it was late and I had just finished work), I got to thinking about how hard would it be to add a few calculators onto this site.

I had a quick look around and there seems to me dozens of example about using javascript to process 'stuff'.  But to be honest, it is all Greek to me.

So two birds could be killed with one stone.  Calculators to work out frequently asked questions and an easy to follow tutorial about how they are made and integrated into webpages.

What do people think?

Edited by SteamyTea

It's easy: the technical bit, that is. Precisely what I did for a living for many years.

What's hard is maintaining it.

The quickest thing to do would be to link to a site  (or sites) which hosts the relevant calculators, and then merely maintain the link.

@SteamyTea, give us a list of pages which host the kind of resource(s) which you think have some credibility.

The trouble with external links is that they don't drive traffic here particular, more drive it away.

How much maintenance is there really?  These would be simple calculators i.e enter volume, power and get out energy and time, maybe an extra to add in kWh price.

Maintenance

• I can do it.  Debbie can maintain it when I'm away. But if we are both off or decide we haven't got the time....
  • If, as sometimes happens, the bit I of code we write causes a conflict with XYZ browser, or on older spec mobile browsers, that means hours of fiddling, or restricting display of that resource to browsers of XYZ spec, which means browser sniffing and that means talking to @TerryE, and that means time, and we all have houses to build....
  • Someone else decides they'd like to help and can't unpick my messy code, and so starts again and .....

If BH were a one person operation , no problem. But we are a team, and that offers opportunity as well as constraint. 

I initially thought of that, but then it is best to discourage random downloads.

I am just playing with a bit of HTML5 output code that seems to 'do sums'.

Got the input side sorted, just struggling to get the output showing, probably as simple as a ; instead of a :

My initial suggestion was that we had a few on-line calculators that would save time by not having to repeat ourselves too often.  And have them in an easy to get at place.

3 hours ago, ragg987 said:

Failed on IE (kWh remains blank)

IE is an old browser.  There comes a point where old standards should not be supported.

I am not a 'coder' at all, and have little interest in doing it, but know that others are.

But one thing I do know is that by keeping things very simple, they tend to be reliable.  So adding in too much to one small bit of code can cause problems.

Edited by SteamyTea