Scrap Metal Prices

I've demolished my old house and in doing so collected a few piles of scrap metal, lead, copper, electric cable, cast iron and other mild steel.

it got to the stage where I needed to get rid of the scrap, so a mate suggested ringing one of the Northwests largest scrap merchants for a price, they process around ten million tonnes of scrap per year. This would give me a price bench mark. I then phoned three local and one not so local scrap merchants for their price of each of the following type of scrap.

My bench mark for lead was £1.53, the best price locally was £1.26 and the not so local price, £1.49.

My bench mark for copper was £4.34, the best price locally was ££3.02 and the not so local price, £4.02.

My bench mark price for cable was £1.50, the bst price locally was £0.77 and the not so local price, £1.43.

So I took my scrap to the not so local scrap merchant and weighed in 27 kilos of copper and 213 kilos of lead,  so my shopping around put an extra £62 in my pocket.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I let the lads take them as a bit of goodwill. Nice little bonus for them! 

Funnily enough I let one of the labourers have my last bag of scrap wire and copper. His face lit up like a Christmas tree.

He proceeded to phone me from the scrappies to say it had bagged him £ 40.00. He was over the moon :)

Edited by Barney12