Drill hack. quite clever really :)

Construction Channel

I've had a set of these for around 20 years or so now: http://eumro.co.uk/drill-stops.aspx  although I bought mine in the US, as they weren't available here at the time.  When I built an all-alloy, riveted together, aeroplane a few years ago I drilled around 16,000, mainly 3.2mm, holes using stops like these, as the last thing you need when drilling rivet holes in aeroplane parts is to accidentally drill through another critical part.

Been doing that trick for years.

Usually when drilling through control cabinets and I don't want to hit wires or a component behind. Rarely do it as I can usually slip a board or bit of tin in there. 

If a lot to do slip a small bearing between chuck and pipe. I usually hold the "pipe" with a pair of mole grips so my hands not too close to the "action". Pipe will of course fill up with swarf so frequently empty it.

@SteamyTea

On an extension I worked on, the customer bought fitted wardrobes from Sigma. The fitters weren't exactly 'precise' with the cutting of said £11k's worth of chipboard and MDF ( lol ). My customer complained so much that one of the area managers called around and apologised. He then went on to further apologise that they hadn't responded quicker, and said that the installation manager was out of action. Apparently he had gone to another site, got pissed off with the incompetence of the particular fitter, grabbed the jigsaw off him and proceeded to cut the offending bit of wood freestyle to demonstrate that it could be done. He had such a tight grip that it was only when the carpet turned red and the fitters started shouting at him that he realised he had, I shit you not, cut through two fingers and was half way the through the third. 

These blades cut bloody quickly when you don't want them to. 

In my youth, when Dewalt first brought out the 18v skill saw, I, in my infinite wisdom, turned it upside down and wedged it in a workmate as a baby table saw, jamming the trigger on with insulation tape. Got about 3-4mm into my thumb before I noticed I was about to end my classical piano career. Soooooooo stupid, but also soooooooo easily done.

Looking back I still shudder at my various hair-brained shinnannigans :S How I've still got all my digits is anyone's guess, let alone my leg which I nearly chopped clean off with a 9" grinder ( that was a close one ? ).

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Was removing spark plug from a petrol strimmer when spanner slipped and I gashed back of finger on metal heat shield. Could see all the inner workings and not just those of the strimmer :-(

And you didn't grab the camera for our benefit?