Flush white doors

ryder72

I am looking for some help on a very simple requirement -

I am looking for metric (826 * 2040) sized flush primed doors. The ones I have seen (Howdens, Premdoor etc) are filmsy and make from hollow cores and feel very cheap. I cant seem to find any substantial doors and have looked into FD30 fire doors as an alternative. Unfortunately, they are only available in unfinished plywood and I cant seem to find a supplier that will offer what I am after.

Does anyone know a supplier who might be able to help?

Could this work?

It still says semi solid core, but I would assume it is more substantial as it is a 44mm fire door.

I have just got a quote from these people for my doors and they have been very helpful.

https://www.leaderdoors.co.uk/doors-c14/internal-doors-c111/fire-doors-c121/jeld-wen-internal-paint-grade-premium-44mm-white-primed-plywood-flush-fd30-fire-door-p31273

@ryder72

This may or may not be what you are after.

However, if you are spending £50 per door then you are within touching distance of a product such as these reduced rom £140 to £84.:

https://www.todd-doors.co.uk/iseo-c4500-white-door

It says "semi-solid core", but they weigh 30kg each so that sounds quite solid to me.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I actually saw that door in my search. It looks very nice. I assumed @ryder72 wanted flush doors specifically but maybe not.

In my quest to find glass walnut fire doors for a reasonable price I feel like I am currently a door expert.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

@ryder72

This may or may not be what you are after.

However, if you are spending £50 per door then you are within touching distance of a product such as these reduced rom £140 to £84.:

https://www.todd-doors.co.uk/iseo-c4500-white-door

It says "semi-solid core", but they weigh 30kg each so that sounds quite solid to me.

Ferdinand

Thanks. I had seen those but I wanted flush doors with no detailing at all. Todd make some quality products and they offered me a bespoke option at £172 each. Just couldnt justify it.

2 hours ago, ryder72 said:

Not necessarily. Its apparently to allow a little bit to be planed off if required, still offering a hard lip to paint over.

What I cant find information on is what happens if I have an unlipped door and need to plane a few mm off.

Doors always allow you to plane a bit off each edge, the amount varies quite a bit between manufacturers but should be easily available information.

I could be wrong on this but my understanding was that an unlipped door is softwood, which if planed could leave difficult to finish off knots etc while a lipped door has hardwood lips of around 4-6mm which are easier to plane and leave better finish. Could be wrong of course.

I have gone for lipped paint grade flush plywood fire doors.

The bewildering choice is made worse by uninformed & disinterested sales staff at the merchants and pricing as the sole sales driver approach.

We got 44mm fire doors from a local kitchen place, I think. They were surprisingly cheap.

Do check that the vertical edges are smooth and flat before installation. We realised after ours were painted that there are nasty planing marks that show up clearly under downlights. On some doors, you can also see where the fibreboard outer leaves have shrunk slightly less than the internal core, leaving fine vertical lines at the join between them in certain lights. Yet another thing that only I (I hope!) notice.

I lost the argument about lipped doors, which I suspect would have been smoother without additional work.