Interior Plywood Walls

swisscheese

I think I am going for some exposed interior plywood panels for wall coverings instead of plasterboard/plaster.

Has anyone else used exposed ply boards anywhere? And if so what thickness would be required, and also any lacquered finishes applied.

I have seen some birch with a lacquered finish that lightens the ply somewhat that I quite like.

Cheers

Haven't seen them in real life, but on lots of house programmes. I quite like the look on the occasional wall - I think if it was all over the place it might look a bit "swedish sauna". I'd probably go for a matt lacquer like they use on oak floors, protects from staining, but doesn't look too shiny. I'm allergic to overly shiny things as they need dusting. 

I considered this but in the end did the easy/boring thing of getting everything plastered.

One of my concerns was that the slightly textured surface could trap dirt and be impossible to clean properly. Maybe that depends on how smooth the finish is on the ply, and what it's sealed with.

My other concern was how to fix it- I guessed that glue would be the answer but you'd better not want back in behind it in a hurry.

@divorcingjack It's not all the walls, and trying to avoid shiny, hence the matt la

@Crofter - yep trying to avoid the 'boring' all plaster thing too.

I'm currently unsure on fixings though I don't mind exposed screw heads dependent on quality and alignment, it's thickness of the board that I'm also interested is 12mm too thin 18mm seems quite thick :/

34 minutes ago, swisscheese said:

@divorcingjack It's not all the walls, and trying to avoid shiny, hence the matt la

@Crofter - yep trying to avoid the 'boring' all plaster thing too.

I'm currently unsure on fixings though I don't mind exposed screw heads dependent on quality and alignment, it's thickness of the board that I'm also interested is 12mm too thin 18mm seems quite thick :/

15mm?

It really depends on the stud spacing behind.

As to fixings, I suppose something like a countersunk allen head in stainless could look rather snazzy- in the right house. You might need to use cup washers as well.

I am going to use birch ply for my window boards ( the internal cills )

Painted or some sort of finish with the ply edges on show but doubled up on the side profile. I may even do some of my reveals completely in ply but not sure yet. I am doing all of this as I have poorly fitted windows so sorting out all the foaming, taping etc 

@swisscheese

you should be looking to apply a Class 0 surface spread of flame rated varnish. Matt will look better than a gloss finish.

Edit: 

With regard to the ply itself there are various grades available - make sure you're happy with the finish.

Edited by Ian

• 5 months later...

Holy Thread Resurrection  Batman - type BUMP!

I'm definitely going for some ply - quite a bit of it, but this could be price dependent.

Has anybody got any good online sources for bulk orders, I'm not getting great deals from local timber merchants despite the potential quantity.