More Pi

Guest Alphonsox

• 6 months later...
Guest Alphonsox

Christmas gift from the Pi people. 

Now you can make your £2000 Macbook Pro look like a £30 Raspberry Pi. The Pixel desktop environment has been released for x86 processors - In fact it's a complete OS based on Debian. Could be a good contender for reviving a very old laptop or similar.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alphonsox

Agreed the Zero looks the more useful device for DIY use, unfortunately they seem to be almost impossible to get hold of.

Got mine from PiHut:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

I bought the kit as I needed the HDMI adapter, the USB adapter and a new PSU.

I have a USB to Ethernet cable on order.

But to be honest, it is not as small as I hoped when things are plugged in (it would not fit within my CC energy monitor base), so shall stick with the normal ones.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 1 month later...

I saw this earlier (email shot from The Pi Hut) and it looks good, but I wish they'd found room on the board for an IPX connector.  I fear the WiFi range won't be that great with the pretty small on-board antenna.

I've just modded a standard Pi Zero by fitting a small WiFi board with an IPX connector, and this in turn is connected via an IPX to SMA pigtail to a decent patch antenna.  The Pi Zero is working as a hi def IP camera, and seems to have a pretty good range.  The idea is to see if I can maintain a good link from the other end of the garden, from the garage, back through our fairly radio-opaque walls to the WiFi access point in the middle of the house.  I reckon that with around 12dB of gain from the antenna it may do it, with luck.

• 10 months later...
Guest Alphonsox

Potentially interesting new (to Rpi) development system from Digilent (National Instruments)  :-

The Pmod HAT allows a large range of expansion modules to be easily attached to the Pi.

https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-hat-adapter-pmod-expansion-for-raspberry-pi/

Lots of options - Sensors Comms, Analog I/O displays, buttons, switches, etc, etc

https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-expansion-modules/pmod-boards/

Neat idea, especially for all those who don't want to get involved in soldering up leads or making up their own interface solutions.

What would be nice would be for someone to come up with a nice and easy way to make modular/adaptable housings.  As the boss of the first lab I worked in used to say, "when starting to build a homer **, start with making the case, as other wise you will find you never finish it".  It's sound advice, as finding or making a housing, drilling/punching/milling out holes and then makign mounting arrangements for all the internal components is invariably the hardest, most time-consuming and least interesting part of any project.

**"homer" a generic term for a personal project being built illicitly in the lab..................

PS:  In the post above I mentioned modding a RPi Zero W by fitting an IPC connector and disconnecting the on-board antenna, and using an external antenna.  I have done this to one board now, and although is was a very fiddly job to get the 0 ohm link moved, and a bit fiddly to solder the SM IPX connector in place, it does make a tremendous difference to wifi performance.  I now have a very solid link from the house down the garden to the garage, something that wasn't possible at all before I did this.  The snag is it almost certainly renders the certification of the RPi Zero W invalid.....................

• 1 month later...
Guest Alphonsox
10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Still don't have the two things that would be really useful though, a real time clock and analogue ports.

Both available on HATs though.....

The thing I would want to see is an upgrade to the storage options - USB3 and/or SATA in some form would be good. The current USB2 implementation is looking very long-in-the-tooth.

16 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Both available on HATs though.....

True

But that is like buying a small 2 seater and then getting a trailer to get your shopping home.  If the ESP2866 can fit analogue ports on for a couple of quid, I am sure the Raspberry Pi Foundation could do the same.

SATA would be nice, but don't see it happening.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2018 at 10:15, Alphonsox said:

Another interesting Pi-Clone alternative worth keeping an eye on ...

I keep humming and haring about doing something like this but to be honest, my Pis typically run at a few  % utilisation and well within their memory constraints.  There are lots of reviews of these RPi super-clones, but when you them look at the forums, stability and project / community support is always an issue.  I find myself saying -- let's wait another 3 months to see if something better comes along.  Certainly, it's a lot easier if you only want headless server support and for most people DietPi makes configuring such devices very easy.   My main two RPis use SSDs for primary storage and eMMC seems to be an excellent way of avoiding this as an issue. The SBCs that I've seriously considered are the Odroid C2 or the Asus Tinker S  (must be the S version to have on-board eMMc).  There are better performing SBCs out there and being reviewed, but buying them is another issue.

I've recently bought an Odroid HC1 plus a 2Tb HDD, which one day I'm going to get around to setting up as a replacement for my existing OwnCloud home file server (which runs on a RPi3).  My primary reason for doing this is just to improve the file server speed a bit and be able to use an off-the-shelf SATA HDD (or SSD, but big ones are still too pricey for my budget).  Having a SATA or mSATA  native port on the next generation of Raspberry Pi would be the one thing that I'd like to see.  Running everything through an onboard USB 2.0 hub, as the RPi does at the moment, isn't ideal, IMHO.  You can make things work over USB 2.0, but it seems to be a sub-optimal hardware solution to me.

Sounds like a good option for something like data acquisition and storage, which doesn't need much processing power or the plethora of ports that the full size RPi has.  Can't say I have a use for one, though, as in many ways a RPi Zero W would do pretty much the same tasks, but in a cheaper, smaller, package, perhaps with lower power consumption.  The latter is a significant issue if looking to battery power any of the RP SBCs, as none seem optimised for low power, and there are one or two applications where low power consumption is very useful. 

I am also not sure where the sweet spot for this is.  If you want to stay native RPi then the RPi0 seems a better fit as an I/O processor.   This NanoPi NEO4 is similar form-factor but in most ways outperforms the RPi3B (2Gb RAM, eMMC, USB3, Proper thermal management / heatsink) at RPI3B prices.

Edited by TerryE

• 7 months later...