I chickened out......until

I got some inspiration from you all.......

I bought another container yay! Trouble is it's a bit rusty in parts. So, scorched by the heat of my own brilliance at welding , I got the grinder out and had a happy half hour getting this far..

container.thumb.jpg.0b28eaea8d0c1fe8c10502f9f4241e49.jpg

Now even I know that ain't good enough, level enough, bright enough, so I chickened out

holefill.thumb.jpg.b6f47486648778f6d34021184b544360.jpg

I am deeply ashamed and am off to the pub early to drown my sorrows and incompetence. 

Thing is, do I cut a piece out, and then weld over the top? Or do I just grind away until there's enough bright metal to which to weld (I'm stick welding)?

Please tell me foam will be fine. Have a productive weekend.

Ian

The best bet is to either cut out a rectangular section, using a thin cutting disk, to get back to solid metal,then cut a patch and weld it into the hole, or just grind back to solid metal, a fair way from the badly corroded bit, then spray it with weld-through zinc primer (comes in aerosol cans), cut a new bigger patch of steel sheet and weld it on over the top.  Give the whole job a coat of decent primer and paint and it'll be as good as new.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

[...]

or just grind back to solid metal, a fair way from the badly corroded bit, then spray it with weld-through zinc primer (comes in aerosol cans), cut a new bigger patch of steel sheet and weld it on over the top.  Give the whole job a coat of decent primer and paint and it'll be as good as new.

Ha! That's tomorrow morning sorted, then. Thanks.

TBH you need to think what this is for and how long until you sell it on. 

Welding to that  with a stick will be a pita unless you are a welding god. 

Which you are probably not as you wouldn't need to ask the question. 

I would cut a patch  larger than affected areas, clean area and prime stick patch on with stickaflex or ct1 smear around edges and smooth off with a paintbrush dipped in appropriate thinner, prime and paint over the whole patch. 

Go to pub with money saved from all those bent twisted welding rods. Ca Ching. 

If MIG then you want clean metal as it's much less forgiving than stick. 

You can lay an oversize patch on the area then cut thru both panels with a 1mm slitting disc. Gives you a nice 1mm gap to weld. Ideally you want to clamp the new plate down or fix with self tappers.

(Don't forget to take the screw out and weld the hole up or the MOT tester will say you screwed the panel on and didn't weld it. Ask me how I know... :) )

Reminds me, I need to fire up the MIG for the shower tray.

If you are just trying to make it watertight then go get a roll of flash band or that repair tape for gutters. Clean the loose crap off, make sure it's dry and preferably warm (blowtorch ...) then bang some tape on it, roller it down and job done ..

25 minutes ago, Triassic said:

There's got to be some satisfaction in cutting back to good steel and welding in a new bit. Personally I'd go with MIG rather than stick.

Me too, primarily as shipping containers are pretty thin steel, around 14g IIRC.  The snag with MIG is that the steel needs to be really clean, with no rust pits.  If the stick welder is a good one, that can be turned right down, then with decent 16g rods it should be possible to weld a 16g patch over the hole, and the flux will make it a bit more tolerant of small rust pits.  Not easy welding thin sheet with a stick welder, though.  I used to do a fair bit of farm gate and pig pen door repairs, years ago, and when thin gauge tubular gates took over from heavy gauge solid steel ones I had to switch to using a MIG.

19 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Mmmm, just foam won't do then will it. Pity. And it's piddling down here now...

Got any Flexacryl, Acrypol etc? Just go over the foam and steel with that.

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Mmmm, just foam won't do then will it. Pity. And it's piddling down here now...

Turn the container upside down then the hole will be on the bottom.....

You've got lights on the digger - off you go...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

Welding to that  with a stick will be a pita unless you are a welding god. 

Which you are probably not as you wouldn't need to ask the question. 

[...]

I'm on my way to godliness, one failed weld at a time.

So far, on this job, I have managed to burn my wrist and get some spatter in my T shirt , and coat my watch glass with small flecks of something. And weld nothing. Because it started raining.

People (well, little boys) walking past (the container is very close to a small lane) seem to think its OK to talk about  an eejit sitting on top of a container with a welding mask on and say,

"Look mummy there's Darth Vader" 

• Like 2