Ed_MK

4 minutes ago, LadyBuilder said:

I saw that, but it does not clearly cover the case where a pipe runs from a dwelling across a second dwelling's certiledge to the public system where there is no connection between the two.

Edited by Ferdinand

I have a situation where my neighbour's drain pipe is on my land. They require a new connection to the sewer so that I can build my basement. Apart from consent and adoption application with TW, a demarkation chamber is required on my land close to the boundary. Further we need to apply for adoption and then create an easement over my land.... I would keep mum about your neighbour's pipe in your back garden... You would require consent from whoever your water company is to do anything within 3 m of it... and you would have to pay for that consent

Edited by LadyBuilder

To be honest I am only going by what TW is telling me, I am by no means an expert. They were adamant that the moment it crosses over to my land, it becomes a public sewer. IF that it not correct, I'd be so happy to be wrong...it would certainly make my life a lot easier

Edited by LadyBuilder
  • Like 1

From TW:

What are private sewers and lateral drains?
Private sewers and lateral drains are the sections of sewer pipe or drain that are shared with another
person’s property, or run through another person’s land. It’s estimated that up to half of properties
in England and Wales are connected to, and the owner is responsible for, a private sewer.

How will you benefit from this change?
This is good news for you as the change in law means the ownership and maintenance for private
sewers and lateral drains will be transferred to us. This will bring peace of mind to customers and
clarity regarding ownership. The change will take place from 1 October 2011.
You will still be responsible for the sections of pipe between your property / building and the
transferred private sewer or lateral drain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyBuilder said:

To be honest I am only going by what TW is telling me, I am by no means an expert. They were adamant that the moment it crosses over to my land, it becomes a public sewer. IF that it not correct, I'd be so happy to be wrong...it would certainly make my life a lot easier

Yes. Reading the gumf I am inclined to agree with your interpretation - that straight runs through next door are adopted. Possibly that was not intended. Sorry :S.

But Severn-Trent's gumf is unclear on the point :-( .

In your circs (and having looked at the Planning App though not all the detail, I would have been inclined to try get their sewer to the front as option 1. Option 2 would be to move their sewer to a track down their garden and across the bottom of mine (ie yours) to the side-road, with an access / maintenance easement plus either 1 - my garden designed to avoid issues or 2 - a transfer of a small slice of land.

Option 3 would be with it on my land down the side as well as across the bottom, depending on how difficult it would be to dig up their gardens. Given that they have just chopped their garden in 2 it might be able to be disturbed.

Option 4 would be heavily modify the basement design.

Any of those would swallow a hunk of contingency.  I would want an option that fixed it once and for all, even if pricier.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On 19/12/2017 at 22:34, Ferdinand said:

Perhaps this particular issue could be sidestepped by @Ed_MK buying a strip of land a foot or several feet wide from his parents, putting in the sewer, then giving them a Right of Way  to walk etc over the top.

That would have other complications, however. Might make buyers of the parent house uncomfortable.

Ferdinand

thanks Ferdy.

I was worried myself.

Apparently one way around it is an "easement" or lay-something or other

wrote into the title deeds of our parents house

i will get more info, at the time it was an informal chat to a solicitor, as any more words would have started

the "cash extraction machine" they use

LOL

On 19/12/2017 at 22:53, LadyBuilder said:

From TW:

What are private sewers and lateral drains?
Private sewers and lateral drains are the sections of sewer pipe or drain that are shared with another
person’s property, or run through another person’s land. It’s estimated that up to half of properties
in England and Wales are connected to, and the owner is responsible for, a private sewer.

How will you benefit from this change?
This is good news for you as the change in law means the ownership and maintenance for private
sewers and lateral drains will be transferred to us. This will bring peace of mind to customers and
clarity regarding ownership. The change will take place from 1 October 2011.
You will still be responsible for the sections of pipe between your property / building and the
transferred private sewer or lateral drain.

thanks LB

I did speak to Anglian water yesterday to identify which manhole cover and its depth i needed.

Was advised its best for me to lift it and survey stick it as old data could be wrong ...

I also discussed picking up parents sewer too and was told no problem as it will all go into 

a single 110 pipe ....seems a bit slim .but apparently its common practice.

from your pic it looks like from their outlet to the path (30ft) this would be classed as a laterlal drain?

which sounds good ...but does it have ramifications for us 

19 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

thanks Ferdy.

I was worried myself.

Apparently one way around it is an "easement" or lay-something or other

wrote into the title deeds of our parents house

i will get more info, at the time it was an informal chat to a solicitor, as any more words would have started

the "cash extraction machine" they use

LOL

You may find this 6-minute solicitor timer useful xD. Bail out at 5 minutes or 11 minutes.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/timer/6minute/

For this reason:

The reason why being a solicitor really sucks comes down, in my mind, to the six minute billing unit. I had forgotten how much I hated the six minute billing unit until I went back to practice after a number of years out of the profession. For those of you who are not familiar with this concept (or if you are lucky enough not to have needed to seek legal advice) a solicitor must note down how long he or she spends doing something, and then the time must be billed to a client in six minute increments. So you have a short 3 minute phone conversation with someone about a matter. Bingo! That’s 1 unit racked up (of course, we round up).

Six minute units are ludicrous. The cost of work done is measured in time spent, not quality. There is an ever present tension to maximise units, but make sure that it doesn’t look like you spent too much time on something. My personal approach was always to record exactly the time I spent on something, not to massage the figures “up” or “down”, and leave it up to the partners to decide whether something should be worth more or less.

Six minute units do not promote efficiency. I am a speed reader and a touch typist. It was very easy for me to read a reasonably long e-mail in 30 seconds and quickly type up a reply. However, my performance would be judged on how many units I could bill to a client: the more units the better. So the fact that I was efficient was not good for my career, because someone who took 15 minutes to read and reply to an e-mail could bill more than me. That person’s figures would look better at the end of the month, and they would be more likely to get promoted than me.

http://skepticlawyer.com.au/2006/04/23/six-minute-billing-units-2/

• Thanks 1