Simple scaffold cost guess-imations ....

Pocster

Hey all,

Looking for a reasonable guess price.

I need scaffold to straddle a 1m wide pathway (i.e. so people can still walk under it). About 9ft high and 10m long. perhaps with a nice staircase access one end.

Anyone able to guess something on that so I know how well I'm doing when getting quotes?!

To do what?

Act as a walkway?  Enable access to work on a balcony? For how long?

There will be an initial price, and a subsequently a hire price - often chargeable after the first month. In our case 5% of the initial cost per month.

Part of the cost (the hidden cost) is the mess scaffolders cause on their way in, and out of a job. To be polite, they don't ever give a flying fig about anything much.

And there appears to be good reason for that round here. It is fairly common (on the Fylde anyway) for half their wages to be paid in currencies other than cash.

5 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

To do what?

Act as a walkway?  Enable access to work on a balcony? For how long?

There will be an initial price, and a subsequently a hire price - often chargeable after the first month. In our case 5% of the initial cost per month.

Part of the cost (the hidden cost) is the mess scaffolders cause on their way in, and out of a job. To be polite, they don't ever give a flying fig about anything much.

And there appears to be good reason for that round here. It is fairly common (on the Fylde anyway) for half their wages to be paid in currencies other than cash.

The scaffolder I use just puts it up at a price and when I am finished he takes it down, no hidden extras. The scaffold has been up quite some time on some jobs while I have completely stripped the dashing, replaced wooden lintels and re-pointed and no extra cost involved. 

7 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Is that per week / month / year?

This is were they all seem to vary

Tge company I use will allow you to keep a full Scaf on hire for 15 weeks (set price)

Part Scaffold 8 weeks Fixed rate 

run over 5% of total per week

Some will hire a bit cheaper But will sting you for £200 pounds per week after 8 weeks

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok ! Lol 

so pricing seems a bit random .

it is for a walkway - I would guess for 1 month 

And that's why the more quotes you get, the better. And, good luck with that process. I got a scaffy by accident after trying hard and failing to 'connect' as opposed to speak with someone who was even slightly interested in quoting.

2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

And that's why the more quotes you get, the better. And, good luck with that process. I got a scaffy by accident after trying hard and failing to 'connect' as opposed to speak with someone who was even slightly interested in quoting.

Agreed 

allot arnt interested in one offs

one company who had a site near by Offered to quote and was virtually double 

and were working on a eight weeks hire

14th of December was the first day of hire  2800 sq ft house fully rendered and slated All in 8 weeks

£200 run over per week

i brought four bricklayers in But did the roof and slating and render myself (with the help of my wife)

But needed the 18 Weeks

Forget to mention

15 for build Roof etc

4 weeks for render 

After 15 weeks they dropped the whole lot and rebuilt for render

2 lifts and three tables

@pocster when you say "for people to walk under" are you planning on putting this over a right of way ..??

If so you are into a whole new ballgame - PL insurance, markings, crash pads, netting and potentially an RoW diversion or closure whilst it's been installed and removed ... 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

@pocster when you say "for people to walk under" are you planning on putting this over a right of way ..??

If so you are into a whole new ballgame - PL insurance, markings, crash pads, netting and potentially an RoW diversion or closure whilst it's been installed and removed ... 

Well; it's more tricky than that.

It's a lane with no owner - not an adopted highway. I've done hoarding etc. along it before with no issue i.e. made it safe. Council don't want responsibility and as there is no owner no one to object or communicate with. So it's not (I guess) public highway; but is listed as a 'private lane' ....... 

Edited by pocster

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

It's a lane with no owner - not an adopted highway. [...] ; but is listed as a 'private lane' ....... 

Caution, caution, caution.

Interesting issue to get my teeth into when I have a spare few minutes today.

To start with I'll ring my scaffy's boss, and see what he has to say

Get back to this sometime today

Ian

37 minutes ago, pocster said:

It's a lane with no owner - not an adopted highway. I've done hoarding etc. along it before with no issue i.e. made it safe. Council don't want responsibility and as there is no owner no one to object or communicate with. So it's not (I guess) public highway; but is listed as a 'private lane' ....... 

That could be one to ask on the Gardenlaw forum, Rights of Way topic.

The key thing is probably who has a right to go down it, and who *does* go down it, and in what mode of transport.

Agree with "caution". But it could be one of those "no idea" conclusions.

If the numbers were small and it was short term (ie less time than it would take someone to do something about it), I might check my insurance and chance my arm. You need to worry about the person in the hospital with a brick which landed on their head, as well as the neighbour wanting procedures following, Chatting to eg dog walkers may be a help if they are the main users.

Ferdinand

There may well be a common law right of access along that lane, and that carries the same weight of responsibility, in terms of duty of care, as any other right of way or highway, I believe.  The basic principle is that if land is accessible, then people must not be put at risk if they access it, and anyone that does create a potential risk has to take full responsibility for any consequences that may arise if the risk materialises and becomes and accident that causes death or injury.

If the risk is not mitigated adequately, the person causing the accident could be deemed to be criminally negligent, and the law does not allow anyone to insure against a criminally negligent act - so we're talking potential criminal charges in the event of an accident.

In terms of HS&E, then the first course of action has to be to remove the hazard.  If you have to put scaffolding over this lane, then close it so that people cannot get access whilst the work is going on.  That removes the major part of the risk, and also removes much of the risk of criminal negligence (but not all of it).  I can give an example from one of the observation posts around a range I used to run.  The observation post had a 10ft high chain link fence around, topped with a 2ft high barbed wire anti-climb overhang.  Inside the fence there was a secure building, plus a 100ft high antenna mast.  We were legally required to fit a horizontal barbed wire anti-climb barrier around the mast, about 10ft up, and to fit lockable steel plates over the fixed access ladder.  This was because if someone climbed over the perimeter fence and then climbed up the mast, then fell off and injured themselves, we could have been found partially liable.

Edited by JSHarris

You know. I can close it with a TTRO for £1860 and an 8 week lead time!!!!!

Or I can get a scaffold license for £100 and just go for it - making sure all the miserable neighbours can walk under it i.e. their public right of way still exists.

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

what would a TTRO do then?

Close the lane fully. Then have some complex diversion signs like 'use the other entrance' - or something.

Nice earner for the council!

Edited by pocster

Well!

I've solved my problem.

Have roofer and scaffold going up as we speak. Not the cheapest obviously!. along that bloody lane....

Oh no!; it's Friday and a bank holiday on Monday!. So by the time the council come and inspect/complain (i.e. Tuesday) it'll all be down - what a shame.

Paid a premium for the "start it now" approach - but it gets done quickly.

Edited by pocster