Sometimes nightmares drag on and on and ......

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Sadly, Ian, I do not think your experience of indifferent workers and poor standards is unique to South Lancashire, or even that uncommon.

[...]

I doubt that our construction industry is suddenly going to transform itself unless it is forced to.

But the industry has transformed me. 

I am never  going to pay promptly. I have Debbie to thank for not paying the invoice as soon as presented - I'd have been out of my mind with anger had I paid the bill. I am going to trust my instincts more, and, if I even smell a hint of poor practice (very politely and carefully), I'll canvas a range of opinion on the quality of the  job done.

Debbie and I would rather camp in an unfinished house than put ourselves through the poor practice mincer again.

Thank God for @Stones advice on Brinno cameras. I have easily presentable evidence  to anyone that wants to see it. (I'm thinking of putting it all on a YooChube Channel a la @Construction Channel, and linking to it here.)

9 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I am never  going to pay promptly. I have Debbie to thank for not paying the invoice as soon as presented - I'd have been out of my mind with anger had I paid the bill. I am going to trust my instincts more, and, if I even smell a hint of poor practice (very politely and carefully), I'll canvas a range of opinion on the quality of the  job done.

Hmm.... so I do pay on time and I get the respect from my trades that it's a given that if they are on site and working then they will get paid. 

I suppose the difference is that I use a lot of small or sole traders who I've known for a number of years. There are a couple that I have used for the first time and I've still got an invoice to receive for an unfinished roof however I get the feeling that there are some trades that pretty much insist on paying on immediate receipt and it's always Friday for Monday with us and always has been. 

Bigger companies I pay on terms, very few get prepayment and that's what annoys the life out of me about utility company connections who won't even do a survey until you've paid ..! The current recourse about the sinking gateway connection for the electricity is that "it was fine when we left...."

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Strange Welsh Cockney there o.O

China mug -> cup of tea -> Buddy ... its obvious xD 

43 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Thank God for @Stones advice on Brinno cameras. I have easily presentable evidence  to anyone that wants to see it. (I'm thinking of putting it all on a YooChube Channel a la @Construction Channel, and linking to it here.)

good idea but i dont want to see any half arsed efforts, 

No silent time lapse's and I want a decent end card. 

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

What we need is a similar way to enforce building standards, and to make sure that people have the skills needed.  That means government intervention, as happened in Ireland, I'm sure.  I doubt that our construction industry is suddenly going to transform itself unless it is forced to.

Bring it on! Sooner rather than later.  Maybe Grenfell will force change?!!

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

China mug -> cup of tea -> Buddy ... its obvious xD 

good idea but i dont want to see any half arsed efforts, 

No silent time lapse's and I want a decent end card. 

Plenty of music available on the "what do you listen to" thread that @Onoff  started. Which reminds me, it's time to add some more bangers to that mash-up. 

B|