Wood v PVC Windows

soapstar

Hey folks,

So we are still in the building warrant drawing stage so we have lots of spec we need to decide on for our house, one being wooden or PVC windows. Can anyone offer any advice on choosing between these two materials?

From research I have gathered the obvious in that PCV is cheaper from the outset and needs less maintenance, however wooden frames can last longer (repairable) but require regular upkeep.

I have also been informed that by using PVC windows in a conservation area (which our house will be in) seriously reduces the value of the house. From what i am aware there is no 'rule' in our area against using PVC windows.

I have attached a picture to show the look and feel of what we are trying to achieve - we will have dormer windows in our 1.5 story. And we also will have a large front facing window as in the picture - would this effect our choice?

I would also like to point out we are quite close to the coast - perhaps something to consider? Aluminium is also something I was looking at being hard wearing, has anyone had any experience with this?

Any advice, pictures or past experiences would be great!

Capture.JPG

Edited by soapstar

Without a doubt I would say consider a third option, Aluminium clad timber. All the maintenance free advantages of upvc, can be painted any colour you want, and much much nicer looking than upvc.

For that crisp look you want, I would highly recommend the Rationel Aura plus windows we have, the external profile is so clean and crisp.

• Like 1

Everyone like the look and idea of wood windows but the maintenance can be a real downer. I find it next to impossible to find someone to paint them properly. Too many painters just want to slap a coat of paint on and go so I end up doing them myself. There is never enough good weather either. My next house will have something else.

If you have the budget you can get bronze clad wooden windows. A few companies make them in the UK but look at Europe as well.  Similar to the Aluminium clad that ProDave mentioned. Wouldn't make sense to paint them but they can have a variety of finishes (New, antique, weathered etc).

PS: Not sure how they are in costal location. Would need to find out.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Without a doubt I would say consider a third option, Aluminium clad timber. All the maintenance free advantages of upvc, can be painted any colour you want, and much much nicer looking than upvc.

For that crisp look you want, I would highly recommend the Rationel Aura plus windows we have, the external profile is so clean and crisp.

Thanks. Never knew aluminium clad was an option! Cost wise are these much more expensive than wooden frames? Dont suppose you have any pictures of your frames, would be interesting to see the colour/texture you went with.

It seems the consensus from looking around that wooden frames are a pain in the a**, however I do like the natural look of wood (as does everybody else who buys them and realises the mistake they have made by the sounds of it!)

1 hour ago, soapstar said:

Thanks. Never knew aluminium clad was an option! Cost wise are these much more expensive than wooden frames? Dont suppose you have any pictures of your frames, would be interesting to see the colour/texture you went with.

It seems the consensus from looking around that wooden frames are a pain in the a**, however I do like the natural look of wood (as does everybody else who buys them and realises the mistake they have made by the sounds of it!)

Here is a close up of one of the frames.

window_detail_.2.thumb.jpg.9b8b14966d1b948a0c835dfa4b45d56f.jpg

That's an opening window, I like the crisp clean unfussy lines.

That's a smooth "pebble grey" finish. I think you can have any RAL colour you like and a textured paint is an option.

I never did directly compare the cost of ali clad Vs just wood so can't comment on the extra cost.

• Like 2

Advice? I can offer opinion as it's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Performance - generally speaking uPVC performs better than timber/ timber alu. You can clad uPVC in Aluminium and you can foil inside/outside. 

Timber can be lacquered in many different finishes, different timber types etc. and colours externally with any RAL colour and that applies to internally as well.

Not a lot like uPVC, I don't mind it, as long as the majority of the system is recycled. The parts you can see, tend to be new.

uPVC can and does bring artificial light into a room, it can brighten up a small room. Using uPVC you'll need strengthening in the frame, which is usually obtained by steel tube inserts. Some profile suppliers use glass fibre inserts to stop thermal bridging within the frame.

At the end of the day it's two fold, preference and budget and thirdly in your case. What the conservation officer allows.

Personally, timber aluminium but if budget didn't allow, I'd have no concerns using uPVC.

As long as the hinges are concealed, I don't have much of an issue either way.

Edited by craig