What ducting will I need

Pete

Can anyone remind where I can find the post discussing how many ducts to put in before pouring slab as I cannot find it.

I have so far: Main electrical incoming supply

Telecoms (Phone and Tv for exterior aerial)

Power to garage

Power to gates and possible camera/intercom (in separate duct)

Exterior lights (may come from detached garage but I realise better control from house)

Water

Duct from plant room to kitchen island electric and water (internal duct)

ASHP (water and power)

Spare

All these will basically come up in the plant room and some may never be used but better to have them in when we pour the slab.

Any others that people have put in or wished they have put in or can point out the thread I cannot find.TIA

• Thanks 1

Sorry if you know this but...

Where is the electric meter and consumer unit going? Incoming electric should come up in the meter cabinet typically on an outside wall. The electric co typically expect that to be near the front door these days but it can go anywhere accessible by the meter reader.

Normally the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are <3 meters long but can be much longer if you put an isolating switch and fuse (I think) at the meter end. Some electric companies don't like that switch being in the same cabinet as the meter but that's where we put ours and they were OK with it.

On 8/21/2017 at 23:51, Temp said:

Sorry if you know this but...

Where is the electric meter and consumer unit going? Incoming electric should come up in the meter cabinet typically on an outside wall. The electric co typically expect that to be near the front door these days but it can go anywhere accessible by the meter reader.

Normally the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are <3 meters long but can be much longer if you put an isolating switch and fuse (I think) at the meter end. Some electric companies don't like that switch being in the same cabinet as the meter but that's where we put ours and they were OK with it

Sorry did not reply I missed it some how. Yes we have it confirmed that we can bring the supply up internally. Our design is very contemporary and we did not want to spoil the exterior with a meter cupboard.

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry did not reply I missed it some how. Yes we have it confirmed that we can bring the supply up internally. Our design is very contemporary and we did not want to spoil the exterior with a meter cupboard.

Inside of an external wall?

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

No. It will come up in the plant room so the incoming main will be approx 2.5m from the external wall.

Interesting. Does that mean the electric co no longer want physical access? I know they have been using wireless readers for awhile but occasionally our meter reader still seems to want physical access.

We put our meter cabinet around the side of our house out of sight.

Edited by Temp

My provider insists on an outside wall (if on the house), either externally in a box or internally on an external wall. They said no way to having it further within the house even with smart meters.

Right on the Lancs/Cumbria border. Guy who is arranging the connections used to work for Norweb I think and now works for himself arranging/ connecting utilities so knows a few tricks of the trade. I will still be digging the trench and laying the ducting. The water will be brought onto my land (50mm) and terminated in a stop cock so I can connect into it as I have a building plot for sale and can put in a larger pipe to feed my house as well. The electric will be taken from the main road to the two properties as and when I need them.