Gravel drive

Neversaynever

Hi all. About to start the driveway. Going for gravel with the plastic grid system. It's 150m2 so came down to cost as per! 

Not familiar with the gravel grid but plan to have this build up;

Thin top layer of gravel 

Gravel grid system filled with 14 or 20mm gravel 

20mm sharp sand

150-200mm type 1 compacted depending on soil when I dig out 

membrane - is this necessary & what type? 

Subgrade 

anything I've missed? 

14 or 20mm gravel? Keen on the Warwick Gold & Cotswold limestone if anyone has used?

Cheers 

I do not think you need the sand (which will mix with the gravel layer) unless someone has specifically recommended it, and the membrane needs to be below the top gravel layer, above the base.

For the quantities above, I think you need to be buying by the lorryload straight from the quarry. We can probably help with expectations on pricing.

You have not mentioned edging.

I have built two gravel drive areas in the last couple years - one used Harvest Gold or Grape Nuts or whatever it was called, and the other used normal 20mm at 1/3 the price, and I can hardly tell the difference. I was astonished. That may be a feasible option, if you find a supplier who you trust.

Questions:

Are you self-building it? Do you have access to a digger and whacker (for sub base)?

Can I suggest that you post a table of materials, and estimated quantities/prices, costs of people / machinery if you are using them, and the grid system you are using, and we will see how much we can chop the price down :-).

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Sorry, did forget to mention edging! Planned to use a decorative edging or possibly timber.

Yes i I have digger dumper & whacker on site will do all that myself 

Quoted £9m2 for the gravel grid system which has a membrane attached to it

£55-£70 per tonne for loose tip of gravel from local quarry, most expensive being the Warwick gold, Cotswold cheaper at £55pt

sand £20pt which I planned to use just to stable the grid system also recommended by the suppliers 

type 1 price tbc depending on how many loads I need once dug out

thnks in advance 

Just to say I have just had 150 tons of plannings delivered ( tarmac removed to facilitate re tarmacing) and its great, sets very solid and very cheap at £4 a ton delivered. You just have to be lucky and find a contractor locally that's re surfacing some roads.

14 hours ago, joe90 said:

Just to say I have just had 150 tons of plannings delivered ( tarmac removed to facilitate re tarmacing) and its great, sets very solid and very cheap at £4 a ton delivered. You just have to be lucky and find a contractor locally that's re surfacing some roads.

I had high hopes for tar planings but was quoted £30/ton- all depends on location I guess.

Crafter, Shame you are soooo far away, just heard the next village is being re-surfaced and they expect to have 350tons to dispose of down here in deepest Devon ?Being greedy I am wondering if I need any more, shame to turn it down.

51 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Crafter, Shame you are soooo far away, just heard the next village is being re-surfaced and they expect to have 350tons to dispose of down here in deepest Devon ?Being greedy I am wondering if I need any more, shame to turn it down.

Where do you call deepest Devon? I'm in Saltash, just over the bridge from Plymouth. 

I coated my drive in 20mm depth of granite chippings. Got a full lorry load tipped in the drive them levelled it out. Priced the grid stuff up and laughed at how much it was costing. In near 18 months down I have raked it once. If you put the stone too deep it will move all over the place and look real bad.