Morning All

Phil D

Morning All, 

Just dropping in to say hello, newly registered on this site. We're actively looking for a good plot in south Manchester/Cheshire and think we're pretty close with one.

Hoping to pick peoples brains and also contribute where I can. We've carried out two refurbishments to date and are now looking for a sizeable project as the next step up.

Thanks,

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Nothing as of yet I’m afraid, we’ve identified a several potential plots and for one reason or another they haven’t quite come off. We put an offer in last week for another plot which ticks all the boxes but it would seem there is some competition (keeping our fingers crossed).

This one has a bungalow on site which will need mostly stripping back or completely demolishing, I would like to utilise the existing foundations wall construction but I’m unsure if it’s more trouble than its worth.

Hopefully I’ll have more news this week  :D

Welcome to the forum :)

33 minutes ago, Phil D said:

We put an offer in last week for another plot which ticks all the boxes but it would seem there is some competition (keeping our fingers crossed).

Ticking all the boxes will tend to bring competition, for sure!

33 minutes ago, Phil D said:

This one has a bungalow on site which will need mostly stripping back or completely demolishing, I would like to utilise the existing foundations wall construction but I’m unsure if it’s more trouble than its worth.

Almost certainly more trouble than it's worth, I'd have thought, even assuming the foundations are (and can be proved to be) of acceptable depth etc. It also severely limits the flexibility you have with your footprint.

I assume you've looked into it, but knocking down tends to be competitive with massively renovating due to the VAT relief you get on a knock-down.

• Like 1

Welcome ..!!

I'd look very carefully at retaining any structure on site - unless it's been empty for a number of years you won't count as a new build and therefore no VAT reclaim. 

If you retain the founds and one wall then it is OK as long as it's specifically mentioned as a condition of the Planning Permission. 

I calculated that we would only be £2k better off with a conversion than a full demolition when I factored in demolition and removal costs and the increase in additional fees such as SAP, air tests, etc. 

• Like 2

Jack/Peter - much appreciated.

I must admit I hadn't considered the VAT implications, I've been so focused on finding an actual plot I've not given the construction methodology/costing too much thought.

Should hopefully hear back this week so will know if I can commit to spending more time moving things on.

Thanks,

Phil