Small slate roof shopping list

pudding

Hi all, I've nearly finished building the block walls of a small outbuilding, overall 2.5x4m, with 2.5x2m in block then it will have a timber lean-to 2.5x2m to extend it to 4m wide. I'll be slate roofing all of this, and building the timber walls of 47x100mm timber, onto a block plinth already down . I already have the original clay ridge tiles from demolishing a few old farm buildings around, and intend to use mortar on the verges. Slate hooks will be used to match our barn roof.

I've read a few guides and threads on here and now have a shopping list which hopefully will have everything I need. Let me know if there's anything I've missed or better (cheaper?) places to buy anything? The whole list is from Roofing Superstore right now, with prices inc VAT. So, onto the list:-

280 Spanish Lugo Slates 500x250mm @ £1.32/slate

100mm Slate Hooks Box of 500 @ £43.19

100 x 30mm Copper Nails ( for bottom course)

1F Bat friendly sarking 15x1m roll

1200x150mm Fibre Cement Soffit Strips/undercloaking 8 @ £5.44

Roof Batten 25x38mm @ £0.7/m

65mm Galvanised batten nails

For structure of the roof and walls:-

Protect TF200 breather membrane @77.30

47x100mm regularised treated C16 @ £2.68/m

50x38mm regularised treated C16 for wall battens for cladding @ £1.42/m

Thanks for looking.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1

Batten is expensive as are the cloaks. You should be able to pick batten up for 48p plus vat, cloaks for £3 or so.

Any reason for breather and sarking..?? If you're using Roofing Superstore then go for the cheapest breather which I think is Klober - I use a Cromar one at £30 a roll and its fine.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, i'll take a look at the different roof batten sizes and prices. Any suggested alternative for batten/cloaks, or just a local builders merchants?

Sarking is for the roof, and the breather is for the timber walls, as half the building/lean-to is timber, other half block.

That roof batten looks pricey. Does itwhat type is it?

My current price for 25x50 in the posh coloured versions are 48p plus VAT per m run, 38p for the general purpose.

It will only probably save £15-20 mind, if that.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Thanks, i'm going to just order the roofing specific bits from there tonight and leave the timber stuff until i can get to my local timber merchant on Friday for joists/rafters/battens. Do the roof battens need to regularised/treated, or are the battens you're all taking about that're cheaper just standard untreated timber?