Hello

Highland Newbie

Hello Everyone. Finally! I have found a place that contains a lot of the world's wisdom on all things New Buildy!

My partner and I are planning to build here on the West Coast of Scotland, and are very close to starting. Hoping for some advice (lots, probably!), starting with the dreaded M*rtg*age... Now off to find a thread I can follow, or create a new one.

Welcome to THE self build forum. The dreaded mortgage is always a good place to start. Lots here go to Buildstore I think, if its an eco home the ecology BS direct and some use brokers. If you just enter mortgage in the search box you will find many links to tales littered with wisdom and a few with woe.

53 minutes ago, Highland Newbie said:

Finally! I have found a place that contains a lot of the world's wisdom on all things New Buildy!

Any chance of a link? :)

Seriously though, welcome aboard. Lots of self builders up "there". (This is from someone who has no concept of how big Scotland is).

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Any chance of a link? :)

Seriously though, welcome aboard. Lots of self builders up "there". (This is from someone who has no concept of how big Scotland is).

Let's just say it's a 6 hour drive from here to the border. Is that big enough?

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Let's just say it's a 6 hour drive from here to the border. Is that big enough?

But only 10 miles? :)

I know a couple of Gurkhas and where they come from, as kids in their villages growing up, distance was measured in time as there's so many hills! Miles/kilometres were meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20 August 2017 at 16:48, Thedreamer said:

Hi, I'm starting a self build in Skye next spring.

I've got services and planning for our site, currently working on the best mortgage for us.

Thanks

Kerry

Hi Kerry, I seem to have missed this thread. I'm on Skye too- whereabouts are you building? Happy to share advice and have a general rant at the unreasonableness of delivery costs :)

1 hour ago, Thedreamer said:

Hi Crofter,

We've building on my wife's croft in Ellishadder, Staffin. 

Whereabouts is your build on Skye?

Thanks

Kerry

Edinbane. Thought about moving to Staffin but single track road + tourists was enough to put us off that idea! Lovely area though.