Converting 110v Lights to 240v

Grosey

Got a lot of 110v halogen site lights that I was given for free. They were useful at first and early stages of the build as we had an transformer on each level. However now we are edging closer to completion it would prove a lot easier to do away with the transformers and convert these to 240v to be able to quickly move from room to room and use the house sockets. 

Is is it simply a case of changing the plug, is there actually any internals in these lights that make them 110v?

It is only me that works on site now so no issues with contractors etc getting confused and using them incorrectly, although not really likely as plugs wouldn't fit obviously. 

7 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Do you really need all that heat and consumtion tho- would binning them for LEDs not be a better call?

Changing them to LEDs is not exactly solving my issue. However I did already try this on a few of the lamps when I got fed up of the heat, the LED replacement halogen tubs just aren't bright enough, and the white light isn't as effective as the halogen tubes either. 

43 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Changing them to LEDs is not exactly solving my issue. However I did already try this on a few of the lamps when I got fed up of the heat, the LED replacement halogen tubs just aren't bright enough, and the white light isn't as effective as the halogen tubes either. 

I converted a couple of 240V 400W work lights to LED, just because the heat output was way higher than we could stand (I had plasterers working in shorts and tee shirts in February, just because the halogen lights were getting the house up to around 30 deg C..........).  I agree that most of the relatively cheap LED halogen replacements are nowhere near as bright.  After several duff attempts, I did manage to buy some J118 compatible LEDs that were still not as bright as the 400W halogens, but were usable.  They were rated at 30W, and uses 64 off 5730 LEDs.  The light output was OK, and certainly a lot better than the fluorescent work light that the plasterers had.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I converted a couple of 240V 400W work lights to LED, just because the heat output was way higher than we could stand (I had plasterers working in shorts and tee shirts in February, just because the halogen lights were getting the house up to around 30 deg C..........).  I agree that most of the relatively cheap LED halogen replacements are nowhere near as bright.  After several duff attempts, I did manage to buy some J118 compatible LEDs that were still not as bright as the 400W halogens, but were usable.  They were rated at 30W, and uses 64 off 5730 LEDs.  The light output was OK, and certainly a lot better than the fluorescent work light that the plasterers had.

Do you have a link for those lamps J ? I want to convert my outside lights and can't be bothered right now to change the entire fitting to led ones. Fed up with the halogen ones blowing all the time.