Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

As things chug along slowly, I think it's time to move house.

previously...

We're still working our way through the mire that is purchase (Jebus, could Land Registry make it any harder to work out who all has rights over a sight line?) but at least now I've risked getting the planning consultant on-board. No red flags on the Property Certificate, which is great news.

I've got some quotes in for the TF already, but it's surprising how many won't quote until Planning is approved.

Likewise prices are in for the Shed.

So some stuff I've worked out, some I haven't. I can handle the electrical design (RCBOs all round), but I suspect @Nickfromwales will be leaned on for the heating and foul aspects.

But firstoff- and yes I'll be asking the same Qs of the PC- what is acceptable to do on-site prior to full approval? The site has had Outline then Reserved Matters, the planning retained on footings which were confirmed inspected by the BCO. Is it likely that we could go ahead with erection of the shed/ garage so as to utilise it for storage and  break accommodation during the build?

Were ready when you are ?

Its down to how confident you are that your plans will come to fruition, but building the shed first as storage and makeshift 'accommodation' / site office will be a good idea. If your site is even slightly remote I'd not fit the final windows, just the front garage door, and simply frame and double up on OSB ( screwed on from the inside ) for any other openings. Shell out on a good quality roller shutter and you'll then have some decent ( secure ) site storage, and add some security lighting and CCTV for good measure. 

You may have already said this, bit is there water and electricity there yet?

I'll be gong with a large-ish prefab steel shed, Nick. Somewhere around the 6x10m and insulated. 

Remote? Yes and no. A kilometre of shared lane so invisible from the road but the site bounds another occupied (recent) build on one side and there's another house a stone's throw from another side, across a lane.

Water is on-site (lots of 32mm the whole way down the side of the lane) and there's a phone line alongside it to the other new house (5-pair I believe).

Lekky is *on* the site- the supply poles are "my" side of the boundary and the transformer is on the next pole on the other side of the other neighbour's lane. So about 5m from the boundary. It was re-sized during works to that property, and has apparently got capacity for another house.

So this is the site, with a quick sketch of where I'd like the buildings on it. It's an interesting image as it's the only one I've found of when the vendor was doing some level changes...

It's a smidge over a half acre. The boundary running SW-NE is a field drain about 5ft deep which runs into a watercourse. Lekky transformer at bottom right of pic.

8HPevNK.jpg?1

What are you doing for drainage, both waste water and surface water? What has next door done? Are you allowed to discharge anything into that field drain?

You need to decide that before you get too far in your plans. you might be surprised / shocked at how much land you need for drainage so often it forces you to put the house over to ne side just to leave enough space for drainage infiltration fields.

We're going for a Consent to Discharge into the field drain, and the boundary is taken to be the middle of said drain. The southern boundary also has a shallow drain on our side of the hedge.

Our test holes show the site sitting on a mudstone shale layer about four feet down so other than the topsoil it's pretty free draining and looks like a good base for the footings too.

Next door built prior to the new legislation so have a septic tank  with the drain field on the other side of the shared lane Covenanted to them.

I'll be letting the supplier of the Packaged Plant deal with the Consent, and will be having a site meeting with him as soon as we complete.

That's good to know. Different areas have different rules. We had to jump through all sorts of hoops to eventually get permission to discharge into a burn through our garden.

Re treatment plants, before you get too far, I think most on here, including me, would suggest you get one based on the air blower principle. There are several that people on here have used and can recommend. I would avoid a plant that works by having moving mechanical parts down in the smelly stuff. You really don't want the job of fixing failed mechanical components in that environment.

You mentioned a planning consultant but have you an architect or who is designing this house?

Reason I ask as an architect that's not where I'd put the garage although I haven't seen the site and only know as much as that aerial view. 

Edit: 100 post. Mini milestone for me :)

Edited by Dudda

56 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

I was actually considering an extension lead from  the neighbour's shed, but that's not without merit...

I made do with a 50m extension lead from my mum's for all the first fix and most of 2nd fix till NIE turned the power on.

47 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

So this is the site, with a quick sketch of where I'd like the buildings on it. It's an interesting image as it's the only one I've found of when the vendor was doing some level changes...

It's a smidge over a half acre. The boundary running SW-NE is a field drain about 5ft deep which runs into a watercourse. Lekky transformer at bottom right of pic.

8HPevNK.jpg?1

Have you used Google maps and bing maps to see if there is a difference in the pics.

@Declan52 yes, Bing and Google (plus historic views on google earth) show the timeline of the lane construction etc. I found the image above as a hidden layer on the Rivers Agency "watercourse management" mapping. Nice.

@Dudda Yes the house design is from Irish House Plans and is pretty much bespoke based on my view of the site and it's surroundings- view, overlooks etc.

I'm also using many of the cues noted in PPS21 to make it fit with the vernacular as well as considering the normal planning notes on outbuildings re. sitting behind the frontage and away from boundaries ref height. Hence the position of the garage- a green steel clad shed to fit with the farm sheds around it and hinting at an enclosed yard. Best views are NNW and due South and there's a farm shed behind a stand of trees roughly W.

Edited by dpmiller

But firstoff- and yes I'll be asking the same Qs of the PC- what is acceptable to do on-site prior to full approval? The site has had Outline then Reserved Matters, the planning retained on footings which were confirmed inspected by the BCO. Is it likely that we could go ahead with erection of the shed/ garage so as to utilise it for storage and  break accommodation during the build?

I thought reserved matters were normally addressed when the full planning application was made so has that been done?

On 8/19/2017 at 08:24, dpmiller said:

what is acceptable to do on-site prior to full approval?

I am building outside Dromara Co. Down and was in the same position as yourself.  We bought a site with outlined and Reserve matters approvals in place and then decided to re-design.

I decided to cut the access lane and clear the site before our new design was approved.  The access was the same as the previously approved plans and house location within the 1.5 acres relatively the same.

I would only throw up the shed if it is the same footprint and location as approved within your RM approval.

• 4 weeks later...

A good day today. Still not quite there on the legal stuff, but I've had both the vendor of the treatment plant and the Planning Consultant on site today with good outcomes.

We're now happy that there won't be an issue in getting consent to discharge into the drain and so I'll get the application completed and away ASAP, and the PC is happy with what he's seen re. precommencements so he'll be completing documentation and putting that application in shortly too.

Now just to complete, and then get the site cleared a bit. Impatient.

OK then @Alphonsox , what's your view on the local BMs, who plays ball best on pricing? Groundworks guy uses Bangor Supply a fair bit, and I've found O'Haras (Ray Grahams) cheaaper for timber than Norman Bell's of recent times.

And what about quarry materials and concrete? Carrowdore's closed now so need to go a bit farther afield for stone, but I hear John Hagan's good for readymix?

Guest Alphonsox
3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

OK then @Alphonsox , what's your view on the local BMs, who plays ball best on pricing? Groundworks guy uses Bangor Supply a fair bit, and I've found O'Haras (Ray Grahams) cheaaper for timber than Norman Bell's of recent times.

And what about quarry materials and concrete? Carrowdore's closed now so need to go a bit farther afield for stone, but I hear John Hagan's good for readymix?

We ended up using a mix of Builders Merchants. Unfortunately there was not one that was consistently cheaper than the others. We had to keep ringing around and comparing.

We ended up using the following BMs:-

JP Corry (Down Patrick, Initial Timber),

Haldane Fisher (Plaster, Plasterboard Timber,  Misc),

NG Bell (Sound Insulation, some boarding),

We had recommendations from various trades for Bangor Supply and Grahams but never actually used them.We could never get competitive pricing from Murdoch's.

Plumbing and tiling was all via Bassets in Bangor. Paint from Johnstone's Bangor. MVHR from BPC, Larne

All our driveway crusher run came from North Stone but that was for a significant quantity 3 Years ago.

Also bear in mind that we had a primary builder for all stages up to watertight finish so all materials for the slab, timber frame, Insulation, external block work and finish were their issue. This being the case we didn't get involved with purchasing concrete.

If your site is on a busy road it won't be long after you start making a mess you will have all sorts of sales reps calling in. I used macblair for most of my stuff but always phoned Haldane fisher JP Corry's and Murdock's to see how much they would charge and then use their prices to get my bill down a bit.

Your best bet to save some money is to chance your arm around delivery charges. If you order more than £500 worth of material then delivery is free. Could save you a decent amount by the time your finished.