Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

12 hours ago, dpmiller said:

And we're in. So much still to do, but we need to move on the "other place" before the market dies off.

Well done. Everyone moves in with a list of things they need to do/want to do but can't afford the time/money to do them. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So what's it like then/ how much is it costing to run?

Well, Jeremy's calculator gave a November space-heating requirement of between 1188 and 1417kWh. Conveniently, NIE swapped out our meter for a dual-rate one on 01/12 so I can confirm that our whole-house consumption was 537kWh for the month and almost half of this was at night rate. Solar self-consumption was 104kWh for the month on top of that.

Of this, the chinesium energy meter that the ASHP is powered through says that the total consumption of the heatpump was 386kWh. That's space heating, DHW, crankcase heater, the lot. I'm able to get enough heat into the slab during the E7 period that the downstairs needs no additional input through the day and is sitting between 20 and 21c.

The radiators upstairs call for a little while in the afternoons and evenings but all is comfortable.

DHW will recover after a luxurious shower in under 30 mins and as long as the two showers are started a few mins apart, will keep the tank stable for both.

I'm pretty pleased with that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

12@ 270W in a SE/SW split. 3.24kW theoretical.

Ah yes, a good spread throughout the day which no doubt helps with self consumption. I'm working a single array facing SE with plans to add a second set facing SW when prices stabilise for that very reason. I have 8x410W modules so virtually the same as your total and have used all but 2kWh out of 122kWh generated.

• 10 months later...

thanks all. Yes we thought all oak would've been too imposing (never mind the cost implications, lol) and we're well chuffed with the outcome. Just need to insert the last bit of stud wall under the stair now to make a cloak cupboard.

• 2 weeks later...

A full year of consumption records, as of today.  Total consumption by the ASHP is 3232kWh and just over half of this is during cheap rate. Jeremy's calculator came up with 11700kWh annual heat requrement for an average year but I'm guessing the actual requirement is a fair bit less as our flow temps would suggest a lower COP...

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

A full year of consumption records, as of today.  Total consumption by the ASHP is 3232kWh and just over half of this is during cheap rate. Jeremy's calculator came up with 11700kWh annual heat requrement for an average year but I'm guessing the actual requirement is a fair bit less as our flow temps would suggest a lower COP...

I would say you are happy with this amount considering it's nearly 1/4 of what was calculated.

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Total consumption by the ASHP is 3232kWh and just over half of this is during cheap rate. Jeremy's calculator came up with 11700kWh annual heat requrement for an average year but I'm guessing the actual requirement is a fair bit less as our flow temps would suggest a lower COP...

Jeremy's spreadsheet calculates the heat load I think, not the CoP of the energy source.

Your CoP is around 3.6. Good but not exceptional.

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Your CoP is around 3.6. Good but not exceptional.

yes, my calculator works too... But as we've got DHW temps for some of the time, heating flow is 40c ish, and we're in a damp cool dip, I think an average COP of 3.6 sounds a bit too good to be true.