Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

Our planning officer told us his case load is supposed to be 25 planning applications at once including any enforcement notices he is working on. 

But due to 2 staff members both handing their notice in at the same time he has 85 cases to deal with. 

It beggers belief how this system of ours is holding together. 

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

A little bird tells me there are twenty-five cases in front of us in Planning.  Sounds like another couple of months?

Or a no. Our planner said that he gets so many applications with little supporting information against the planning criteria or local plan. In his case if they were difficult or marginal and they ran out of time, they usually were refused - they went with a start point of yes, buy if they were hard to justify and they didn't have time they were justified in refusing. Our design statement went into all the various criteria and the local plan - which the planner said made his job much easier as we had interpreted it properly and fairly. So if there is a big queue of work, you can do a lot to make a planners life easier.

Could be worth reviewing the application to make sure it covers what the planners need and adding if needed?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dpmiller said:

A little bird tells me there are twenty-five cases in front of us in Planning.  Sounds like another couple of months?

Down our way they do not start until the comment dates have passed.

Also perhaps phone then up after that point to see how it is going.

Well this info came from our PC who was chasing the case up, I'd be pretty sure that as a planning professional he's going to get a straighter answer than if I was to call up.

No, all bases were definitely covered in the application- have a read the D&A statement...

24 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Well this info came from our PC who was chasing the case up, I'd be pretty sure that as a planning professional he's going to get a straighter answer than if I was to call up.

No, all bases were definitely covered in the application- have a read the D&A statement...

Good stuff.

So you are now in the exquisite position where the main thing you can do is wait and drink cocktails. Or Guinness. Life's little moments.

Forgoing the cocktails for today, I took advantage of a dry day to liberally douse all 0.58a with glyphosate. Checked the mains pressure while I was down too, looks like just over 3 bar and filling the sprayer pretty darned quick.

Received a sample rooftile that interested me from Sandtoft yesterday. We've looked at Tapco, Iko, Cambrian, but this Britlock tile really impresses. Much more rigid than the Tapco/Iko offerings, and looks like it goes on more conveniently than Cambrian- less fiddly clips needed. Looks very "real" too, Sandy immediately showed her preference for it.

So we've now got a field of mostly yellow dying grass. Good. Brought Sandy down today and we put posts out to get a look at the footprint. Until now she's been saying "are you sure there's enough room for a bit of a garden?" (site being trianglular is hard to visualise); today... "the garden looks mahoosive, is that all the size the house is?"

Yes, I think it'll all work out nicely.

The usual sequence is:

You peg out the house footprint on the ground   "That looks tiny, make it bigger"

You dig the foundations and lay the dwarf walls "That looks tiny, make it bigger"

The timber frame goes up  "Oooh it is quite big isn't it.

Guest Alphonsox
34 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The usual sequence is:

You peg out the house footprint on the ground   "That looks tiny, make it bigger"

You dig the foundations and lay the dwarf walls "That looks tiny, make it bigger"

The timber frame goes up  "Oooh it is quite big isn't it.

That's pretty much the sequence we went through - hence our downsized retirement home is 20% bigger than the home were downsizing from (not to mention an extra 3 acres of garden).

• 2 months later...

Still waiting.

Took down a couple of poor-looking Ash along the side of the sheugh, ther's another couple to go but they're growing the "wrong" direction to fell easily towards us. Need to wait for the excavator coming to get them moving the right direction.

We have squatters tho- Both the trenches of the current footings, and the sheugh, are full of frogspawn!

Windows are decided on, just a couple of minor details to cofirm before contracting. Pleasantly surprised by the costings.

A question tho, for the local contingent- who other than Quinn actually *make* thermal blocks?

• 1 month later...

A little bird tells me to expect a positive outcome on Planning in the next week or so. Getting exciting now.

Does anybody want some tadpoles btw? We appear to have hundreds of the wee buggers as well as tiny (thumbnail-sized) froggies hopping around the place.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

A little bird tells me to expect a positive outcome on Planning in the next week or so. Getting exciting now.

Does anybody want some tadpoles btw? We appear to have hundreds of the wee buggers as well as tiny (thumbnail-sized) froggies hopping around the place.

Frogs and tadpoles at the same time? Different species?

Edited by Onoff

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Frogs and tadpoles at the same time? Different species?

Dunno. Tadpoles are hatched about three weeks and don't have legs yet,  but boy wonder and I spotted at least three of the small frogs (but long legged they were), elsewhere.