Down the big long lane...

dpmiller

Right then gents. Getting into the nitty gritty of some TF quotes and of the two I'm most interested in (names witheld at this time..) I'm interested in the collective's opinion of differing buildups. Forgetting cost at this point, and bearing in mind both systems are quoting the same U- value:-

option 1

breather membrane/9mm OSB/140mm stud filled with Frametherm35/ 50mmPUR/ vapour barrier/ service void/ PB

option 2

breather membrane/ 12mm Durelis Populair/ 140mm stud filled with Superglass35/ 50mmPUR taped as air&vapour tight/ service void/ PB

Is the Populair's better vapour transfer likely to be a benefit in the real world?

9 hours ago, dpmiller said:

Right then gents. Getting into the nitty gritty of some TF quotes and of the two I'm most interested in (names witheld at this time..) I'm interested in the collective's opinion of differing buildups. Forgetting cost at this point, and bearing in mind both systems are quoting the same U- value:-

option 1

breather membrane/9mm OSB/140mm stud filled with Frametherm35/ 50mmPUR/ vapour barrier/ service void/ PB

option 2

breather membrane/ 12mm Durelis Populair/ 140mm stud filled with Superglass35/ 50mmPUR taped as air&vapour tight/ service void/ PB

Is the Populair's better vapour transfer likely to be a benefit in the real world?

Your first option is essentially the same as my wall buildup, by the way, although as I had non foil faced boards I added an additional vapour/airtightness layer. All I can say is that, so far, it seems quite warm and hasn't fallen down...

• 2 weeks later...

...which is a good thing @Crofter.

So where are we now then?

Solicitor is finally happy with the bones of the deal so we've signed for the site subject to a couple of final niggly niggles.

PC is happy with final placement on the site and has all the necessary drawings (location plan is GIANT to cover the whole lane, lol!) done to send in the application. He's just awaiting a FOI request for BCO's notes on the site and footings.

I need to amend the drawings to include the treatment plant and then send off the Consent to Discharge application

I need to visit the site with the strimmer and clear grass from around the footings to make'em nice and obvious

and we need to do some planting to replicate what should've been done back when the footings went down, a bit of hawthorn hedging.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woo-hoo :D

we own a field!

our private laneway

Q0GU0yP.jpg

how the site looks now

qpZhn5c.jpg

the view "from the front door"

WMnXos9.jpg

field drain. Note that the fence isn't the boundary here, rather the centre of the drain.

uQ3o0A4.jpg

Edited by dpmiller
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on slowly...

Spent a couple of hours on the site today walking round, looking, thinking. Tramping through loadsa sheep crap- the vendor has put some animals on it to lose the long grass for us, and it's made quite a difference even in only a week.

Hf8eXzm.jpg?1

Drainage looks good. There's been some pretty heavy rain the past while (noticeable field runoff on roads in the locality) And while the site is surface soft with some standing water in the low spots, the field drain is trickling away happily.

I've pulled up the water main and the phone cable. There's an uncompleted joint in the water line on the other side of the long lane so I'll need to pop a coupler on and bury it but then we should have water. The phone will probably need splicing into the line coming down to the bungalow next door in the same spot.

ZajCDMU.jpg?1

And the electric? Even better than anticipated. On inspection, the poles and overhead crossing the site are the 240v to the next farm, and both it and the underground to the bungalow are fed by an overhead from the transformer, over the neighbour's lane. Now where's those croc clips...

• 2 weeks later...

A nice crisp spring morning, so down to the site goes I. Sheep are gone, and so is the grass. But they haven't touched the rushes so time to break out the strimmer w/ brush blade. That should make them more receptive to the forthcoming chemical treatment.

After clearing about a third of the site my arms were rather pumped up so enough strimming for the day. The site is looking much more expansive now tho that it's flattening out.

Next job then was to get the water on. Temporary joint made and an outside tap hung on a post (yes, double check valve), drive up to the road,  find which Toby is ours and turn it on.

Drive back down lane, turn on tap, and wait...

/ what *is* the volume of 650m of 32mm MDPE???

we have water!  Still a bit aerated even after running for fifteen minutes, but we have clean water and it's at good flow and pressure. Happy with that.

6 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

A nice crisp spring morning, so down to the site goes I. Sheep are gone, and so is the grass. But they haven't touched the rushes so time to break out the strimmer w/ brush blade. That should make them more receptive to the forthcoming chemical treatment.

No it won't. you should treat them as they are, do not cut them first.

You reckon Dave? They're not in active growth and that's the advice I was given. Hey ho, the digger will be sorting them anyway.

Oh I've just noticed the link to the planning file I posted previously is poo. If anyone wants a look, go to

http://epicpublic.planningni.gov.uk/publicaccess/

and then reference LA06/2017/1336/F

Guest Alphonsox
21 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

You reckon Dave? They're not in active growth and that's the advice I was given. Hey ho, the digger will be sorting them anyway.

Oh I've just noticed the link to the planning file I posted previously is poo. If anyone wants a look, go to

http://epicpublic.planningni.gov.uk/publicaccess/

and then reference LA06/2017/1336/F

Nice part of the world - How close are you to the Mount Stewart estate lands ?

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

I sprayed our plot twice with glyphosphate to kill the multitude of weeds. You have the spray the plants, during the growing season for it to be absorbed and drawn down. The instructions explicitly said  do not trim before or after.

Other week killers may differ.

The main thing with glyphosate (Round Up etc) is that the plant has to be actively growing when sprayed to work effectively.  If sprayed on dormant plants then it won't be as effective.  As Dave says, it works better if plants aren't cut down first usually, the exception to that being using it in Spring, when cutting dormant plants and then spraying new growth is extremely effective, as new growth has a much great uptake rate than old growth.

The other point worth noting is that glyphosate is pretty safe when used so that any spray falls on soil, where it breaks down after a few days, but it's highly toxic to marine life, so needs to be sprayed well away from any water course, ditch etc.  It doesn't break down in water at all, so remains toxic to marine life, both plant and animal, for a long way downstream.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Temp said:

If you need a lot it's cheaper to buy something other than Round Up online. Google glyphosate for alternatives. 

Generally the cheapest is Gallup 360, but beware that this is an "agricultural grade" version, that needs more dilution that Round Up or Weedol as sold in garden centres etc as it is far more concentrated.  It's the same stuff (glyphosate plus surfactant) and a 5 litre container will dilute to enough to cover over over 1 ha for normal use on grass-like weeds (around 2 1/2 acres).  Often the cheapest place to buy Gallup 360 is Ebay, as I've found the local agricultural suppliers are sometimes a bit iffy at selling it over the counter, as I believe Gallup have some stipulation that it's and "industrial use only" herbicide.

Edited by JSHarris