Glossary of products

Russell griffiths

Is this a good idea, I see lots of questions regarding products, I have asked a few myself recently and was about to ask another, is there a way of compiling a list of good gear that has proven its self in helping to get the job done well. 

I recently asked for a recommendation for a good white silicon that didn't discolour and our welsh wizard plumber came to the rescue. 

What do  you think would this cause you admin lot a load of work or would it be fairly straightforward. 

Russ. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

I think the list would be VERY big. ;). The only problem I see is updating it and maintaining the list so it stays current. 

Tbh, the information finds itself in each thread, relevant to the ongoing discussion, so probably best to keep to that IMO. 

We have a glossary of terms but as far as products go, that's a hell of a list :/

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I'm thinking of making my own paper version as I'm old fashioned, every time a good product is mentioned I'm going to write it in a book with different headings for different tasks. 

I have been doing that since finding BuildHub.  As well as good products, I add other useful pieces of advice.  Its quite a list now and I do have to occasionally read through it to remind myself.  But definately worth the effort as it saves having to search through lots of posts for that one you vaguely remember from months ago.B|

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMitchells said:

I have been doing that since finding BuildHub.  As well as good products, I add other useful pieces of advice.  Its quite a list now and I do have to occasionally read through it to remind myself.  But definately worth the effort as it saves having to search through lots of posts for that one you vaguely remember from months ago.B|

Is your list hyperlinked? It might be a useful resource in itself!

1 hour ago, NSS said:

isn't there also the potential for 'marmite' issues arising where one or more members are happy to recommend a product that others dismiss as being rubbish. For example..... ;)

this was my issue with the idea as well,

it has been brought up before and there were a few issues,

1, staying up to date with links (someone would have to maintain and check it)

2. different experiences from customers ( a bad reputation travels a lot faster than a good one no matter how good the product is)

3. product endorsement (as a community run forum we really don't need to be getting involved in that)

but essentially it is a great idea, if for example, someone like @TheMitchells wanted to share their list of recommended products in a user started thread,

firstly "we" as a body wouldn't be affiliated and secondly it may end up being very helpful in the search facility as long as people label/tag their posts well. 

but be warned this will end up in a very messy thread of comments

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

There's still world peace and perpetual motion to crack ;)

Work on perpetual motion cos I suspect Trump and Kim Jong-un will bring about world peace shortly - on the beach fashion sadly, but peace none the less.

Edited by MikeSharp01
expect to suspect