Satellite Internet

Hi, just wondering if anyone has gone for Satellite internet and if so how they are finding it? New house is at the "end of a line" and nobody can provide fibre so predicted speeds are 0.8mbps....not much I can do with that and was needing my cctv up soon as currently using a wildlife camera (recommended on here and it's been ace but has its limitations) so exploring options.

a new provider has set up masts within clear view of our site so I'd assume we would get very good speeds, but we are north east Scotland and I heard poor weather could be problematic....realistically that's everyday! We would be entitled to a set-up grant and have been issued with a voucher for this but the monthly charge is still expensive. Any pointers appreciated. 

I have satellite internet, with Notspot, £44 per month for 25G but free from midnight to 6 am, that is why I am still up. Its a TOOWAY set up. You can "beam" a signal from a BT cabinet, depends on the line of sight and access to power. Not an expert but many people are doing this. Also, email Digital Scotland for an update, they are useless but its worth a try.

Guest Alphonsox

We looked at it for our new build but decided against it for various reasons (cost, latency etc). We are currently using Vodafone 4G mobile broadband (£25/50G/month) and finding it very usable. Long term I'm hoping some of the £1Billion DUP bribe incentive money might make a difference to the local broadband infrastructure.

Really interesting read @Triassic, luckily we are not that remote but it's equally infuriating, we currently stay 7miles away from our build and are on fibre broadband of approx 25mbps and with two kids (11 & 9) with a minecraft & YouTube addiction I can foresee big problems once we sweep them out the village!

We also only get 3G at the new Build so mobile broadband isn't really a great option especially as we have a good bit of granite going in the house frontage, don't really want us all leaning out the windows.

it was a "rest of Scotland" initiative that issued the voucher so I'd assume that means nothing else is coming soon,  our local one says "fixed wireless" and through ultra networks http://www.ultranetworks.co.uk/,  don't really have an idea with latency etc but know it's an extra £6 per month for a fixed IP for any cctv ?

2 hours ago, Triple07 said:

get 3G at the new Build so mobile broadband isn't really a great option

I think 3G is due to be turned off in the not too distant future, the multi-billion quid license was only for 20 years.

May a slower broadband may get your kids to go out more often :D

The Ultranetworks system is similar to the wireless system that Paul Camelli (the blog link posted by @Triassic) has, I believe.  Speeds are good and latency is much lower than a satellite link, as the signal isn't having to do a 44,500 mile trip (that alone adds around 300ms each way, so around 600ms latency).  The satellite latency has to then be added to the normal network latency of around 20 to 40ms.  From what I've read, local wireless link systems like Ultranetworks, have a latency that's no worse than a fibre broadband connection, and has speeds that are better than standard ADSL.

Guest Alphonsox

I looked at the equivalent WIMAX service in Northern ireland - Unfortunately there were far too many issues to proceed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34947595

http://ulsterherald.com/2016/03/18/pressure-mounts-on-publicly-funded-broadband-provider/

The main concern on the local forums was the significant fall off in performance when multiple people try to use the service simultaneously.  I'm sure no-one in Scotland would take public money and then fail to deliver the promised service, but just in case I don't think I would sign up to an extended contract until I had seen some positive feedback.

Thanks folks, will have a look. I think if it was the whole area affected then maybe more could be done but since it's just the unfortunate few that decided to build at the end if long lines I will need to get imaginative with the options! Will maybe go over to our nearest neighbours and see what they have got going on.