Adhesive for EPS

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I wonder if Soudal Low Expansion foam would work?

I used it to stick all my EPS to concrete, brick, other EPS,  wood etc.

Would this stuff work https://www.cloudfixing.com/products/tremco-illbruck-fm330-air-tight-expanding-foam?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=42267657038 (air-tight expanding foam) ?

All I know is @JSHarris recommended me to Soudal ages ago and specifically the low expansion one for sticking EPS. It works put simply. A zig zag of foam, push the board against whatever you want it to stick to and hold in place with blocks, a wedge or even a sand bag.

Sticks like shit to a blanket. I do the zig zag, press it firmly into place and squash the foam, then pull the two apart. See if there are any areas / voids that the foam hasn't stuck, top up there and then re-press into place and support. 

Even the low expansion foams will bite you on the arse if you don't have a robust method for holding the plinth completely tight against the eps. 

10 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

I think I've settled on using Dibond aluminium composite for the plinth on our house and would rather stick it to the EPS than mechanically fix it. Are there any products I should look at or avoid? 

Out of interest where have you sourced it. I've got a large area of roof underside (it's an overhang where the wall steps in, hard to describe) that I need to clad with something and was pondering a bonded aluminium type product. 

• 3 weeks later...

The sample of dibond I got looks pretty good - gloss on one side, matt on the other. I did get a quote for powder coated aluminium but it was over twice the price and no better I don't think.

One aspect I'm not sure about is the fixing of it to the EPS. What do you do with both the blue membrane and the plastic (damp-proof?) sheet? Do you just cut it off where the render finishes? The obvious answer is yes but I just wanted to check first

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 13:34, worldwidewebs said:

The sample of dibond I got looks pretty good - gloss on one side, matt on the other. I did get a quote for powder coated aluminium but it was over twice the price and no better I don't think.

One aspect I'm not sure about is the fixing of it to the EPS. What do you do with both the blue membrane and the plastic (damp-proof?) sheet? Do you just cut it off where the render finishes? The obvious answer is yes but I just wanted to check first

Did anyone have an answer to the cutting off question please.

What sort of glue did you use to bond the ply to the ESP? What grade of ESP did you use?  I assume the denser the ESP the greater the shear strength?

I’ll be starting to glue together my DIY EPS foundations in a couple of week, hence the interest. Now where was that thread about hot wire cutters?

Edited by Triassic