First plans draft

Hard to say about dormers without knowing the roof pitch. The lower the pitch, the less the roof will intrude.

Bedroom 2 and 3 are large enough that they can probably take a lower height area, in bedroom 1 it looked like it would really intrude.

Not sure from a design perspective it would look great to have lots of dormers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very useful Mikal :)

especially to remind first timers what comes where ...although ours is Potton/Timberframe ..a lot still applies !

Fro me now I am faced with filling out the dreaded Building Regulations Document ...its so confusing ...They refer to Building Reg and building control and 

Some other "faster" document

Also from what i can see ...you don't HAVE to wait for the Building regulations to be "approved" ..I mean are they approved?

As from what i can read as soon as you send them in you seem to be able to start :o ..that cant be right can it ?

I have a lot of the documents that SEEM to be required from the ones i put in for Planning Permission (which was granted)

And I am waiting for Potton to finish their BIT OF IT ...6 weeks after you pay deposit.

I am presuming the Groundworks company have to submit something as well?

As I am technically (due to finances) the project manager ...I guess I will be doing the services diagram

and sending them in samples of outside and border materials 

I take it it is only THEN (once i have collated all the above) I actually fill in (and pay the £800!) for the Building Regs

and then ....

On 12/11/2017 at 11:59, mikalscad said:

this is a project i did recently using off the shelf building materials
and the full potential of building regulations  you might find them useful

project schedule for 4bed detached house.pdf

4 bedroom detached house.pdf

THat is interesting. 

TRying to understand, can you confirm where eg the labour for fitting the windows is identified?

Cheers

F

3 hours ago, Ed_MK said:

Also from what i can see ...you don't HAVE to wait for the Building regulations to be "approved" ..I mean are they approved?

As from what i can read as soon as you send them in you seem to be able to start :o ..that cant be right can it ?

If you are doing a new build, get your architect / technician to do a "Full Plans" building regs submission.  This should specify how each of the regs (structure, fire, conservation of fuel etc) will be met.  It may be that the submission gets full approval, so you can just go ahead, conditional approval, saying that some further information will be needed down the line, or refused, which means you would need to reapply.

It is possible to go ahead just by applying for a "Building Notice" but this is really only suited to minor works as you run the serious risk that at any stage the building inspector can ask you to re-do what you have done.

The benefit of having full plans drawn up, with a specification, is that any supplier or contractor can see clearly what they are intended to do and as long as you build according to the approved plans the building inspector should be (fairly) happy.