Speaker wire

Pocster

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

I put in speaker wire better than the current system justified...  with the hope of one day upgrading the speakers...... 

Yes, it's good to hope! As with those B&O speakers - do I get those or spend it on some more insulation?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The foil won't interfere with anything. It's aluminium anyway so wont have any effect on the magnetic coil side of things. It WILL though nicely short things out like across terminals etc.

Bit of a difference in those speaker prices, even I could afford the fugly ones! :)

I'm a big fan of good old twin and earth for speaker wires. Of course you can kid yourself this, that or the other OFC, £XXX per meter sounds better.

I noticed the other day how waving the celotex around above my FM radio how that interfered with the signal so I thought there may be some issues with the speakers too. Yeah, I'll have to make sure there's no straggly bits of 'alooominum' touching anywhere the connections.  Back to my final insulation layer then....¬¬

1 hour ago, oranjeboom said:

Yes, it's good to hope! As with those B&O speakers - do I get those or spend it on some more insulation?

When i lived in Australia and ran my company I purchased a pair of 12l Quad speakers, i lived in a big house with dedicated space for my hifi set up, however i now live on the west coast of Scotland in a really small house and cannot make use of the large 12l speakers... It really comes down to how much you love good quality sound, i buy expensive tools these days as thats what i spend my time using, no time for chilling out. But if your going to be spending some quality time enjoying your music then........       

I've just brought back from my parents house my old Technics 315 system. Mum bought it between me and Dad in the early 80's (We're up there at the mo what the Scandinavians call "death cleaning" :( ). Record deck, tuner, amp and double cassette deck. Couldn't afford the matching CD at the time. Might have a look on eBay.

Edited by Onoff

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

Got any pics as I used to have that system and I did buy the CD later on. Still got the record deck somewhere. Happy memories recording tape to tape

Not unpacked the car yet. Covered in dust and has that "old people" smell! :) SLQ5 linear tracking turntable from memory. 

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

Got any pics as I used to have that system and I did buy the CD later on. Still got the record deck somewhere. Happy memories recording tape to tape

Treat it carefully its a thing of beauty!

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'm a big fan of good old twin and earth for speaker wires. Of course you can kid yourself this, that or the other OFC, £XXX per meter sounds better.

Yes, but i is so embarrassing to tell your audiophile friends with the correct balance of irony and humour.

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Would that be about the time CD's came out.  I think I stopped buying 'records' about the same time.

About that time yes. Brothers In Arms era I think.

Blew it off with the compressor in the garden then wiped over with a bleach cloth. Might need some Multisolve for the stubborn, ingrained stuff :(

20180211_123031.thumb.jpg.c49561c05a2357f9145094bd6bf3230d.jpg

20180211_123039.thumb.jpg.7d1a2d7ae7b6896b6c636f658b6ee6a9.jpg

It was the "lesser" turntable (the SL-J1 not the SL-Q5) than I quoted earlier:

20180211_123050.thumb.jpg.f86792426f464da9fa551417643b593d.jpg

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It will still reproduce all the snap, crackle and pop in hi fidelity all the same.

If you have kept your records in the loft, then you can get added wow.

LPs really are a load of rubbish aren't they.

Like valves.  You want a softer sound, put some earplugs in.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

LPs really are a load of rubbish aren't they.

Like valves.  You want a softer sound, put some earplugs in.

Oh my Goodness Steamy I just emptied our old music room and found hundreds of records, I've no idea if I should dump them, donate them or treasure them!!

Sell them to mugs on eBay, dealers offer nothing.

Just to keep up with @Onoff I found a picture of the 'music centre' I bought in about 85.  My mother still has it, with speakers and the remote.

(for some reason I now have Springsteen's Glory Days, in my head)

music centre.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

I actually really like the warmth of vinyl, I really do. Trouble is my musical tastes have moved on. I bought a USB turntable with the intent of converting everything to MP3. It was cute when my 11 year old referred to "those big black CDs". Nostalgic too when waiting for the next track I forgot you have to turn the record over!

I think I got as far as converting the 12" mixes of I.O.U by Freeeze, Gwen Guthrie's Outside In The Rain and Sinitta's Cruising before it all went back in the box / loft. 

Edited by Onoff

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

About that time yes. Brothers In Arms era I think.

Blew it off with the compressor in the garden then wiped over with a bleach cloth. Might need some Multisolve for the stubborn, ingrained stuff :(

20180211_123031.thumb.jpg.c49561c05a2357f9145094bd6bf3230d.jpg

20180211_123039.thumb.jpg.7d1a2d7ae7b6896b6c636f658b6ee6a9.jpg

20180211_123050.thumb.jpg.f86792426f464da9fa551417643b593d.jpg

Wish I still had mine!!

On 2/10/2018 at 21:27, Onoff said:

I've just brought back from my parents house my old Technics 315 system. Mum bought it between me and Dad in the early 80's (We're up there at the mo what the Scandinavians call "death cleaning" :( ). Record deck, tuner, amp and double cassette deck. Couldn't afford the matching CD at the time. Might have a look on eBay.

Think I need to do some of of that here too when the house is done. No doubt I will find numerous hammers, saws that I thought were long gone. So much sh1te here at the moment - wouldn't want anyone else having to figure out what each item was meant for if I topped off the scaffolding!

On 2/10/2018 at 20:11, Cpd said:

When i lived in Australia and ran my company I purchased a pair of 12l Quad speakers, i lived in a big house with dedicated space for my hifi set up, however i now live on the west coast of Scotland in a really small house and cannot make use of the large 12l speakers... It really comes down to how much you love good quality sound, i buy expensive tools these days as thats what i spend my time using, no time for chilling out. But if your going to be spending some quality time enjoying your music then........       

Thanks CPD. I think the remaining wonga will be going on getting this house finished. Wife has threatened to drag me down to some kitchen place this week so I better save all pennies!