Speaker wire

Pocster

I used 2 core electrical flex, have used telecoms jumper wire in the past. If it's copper it will work, but yes audiophiles will freak. But unless every other component of your listening experience is on point, the cable is probably the least of your worries. 

20 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've used T&E in the past. :ph34r:

Me too, I think it's probably the cheapest form of reasonably thick section copper you can buy, and fine for fixed speakers set in walls or ceilings.

You're unlikely to be putting lots of power through wall/ceiling speakers, anyway, and I doubt that anyone would be able to hear a difference between the very best oxygen-free copper speaker wire and a bit of 1mm² or 1.5mm² T&E.

Guest Alphonsox

I have use T+E in the past. I currently use enamelled magnet wire - works well

EDIT - Not a fan of stranded wire, it's too difficult to keep a clean contact area between the wire and the terminals.

There's more BS associated with cable and connectors for "Hi Fi" than you can wave a big stick at.  I've heard some truly ludicrous BS before now, including claims that "skin effect" comes into play at audio frequencies (it doesn't at all) and a host of other garbage.  Around 30 years ago, when I still had access to a decent lab at work, I did loads of measurements on different cable and connectors, using a (for the time) state of the art Hewlett Packard network analyser.  Not once was I able to measure any difference between the "best" cable on the market and a cheaper bit of ordinary copper cable of the same CSA.  That didn't stop a fellow Hi Fi nut friend claim that using gold phono plugs improved the sound of his system (even though gold is not a particularly good electrical conductor, it's 30% worse than copper............).

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

There's more BS associated with cable and connectors for "Hi Fi" than you can wave a big stick at.  I've heard some truly ludicrous BS before now, including claims that "skin effect" comes into play at audio frequencies (it doesn't at all) and a host of other garbage.  Around 30 years ago, when I still had access to a decent lab at work, I did loads of measurements on different cable and connectors, using a (for the time) state of the art Hewlett Packard network analyser.  Not once was I able to measure any difference between the "best" cable on the market and a cheaper bit of ordinary copper cable of the same CSA.  That didn't stop a fellow Hi Fi nut friend claim that using gold phono plugs improved the sound of his system (even though gold is not a particularly good electrical conductor, it's 30% worse than copper............).

Reminds me of the first time HDMI cables were introduced. Guy in Currys trying to sell me a gold connector one for £50!. It's digital mate! - binary! ; goes along any cable. I think he genuinely believed (because it's gold) it was 'better' ....

• 5 months later...

Not wanting to start a new thread on this one, so just resurrecting!

About to plaster the vaulted ceiling which will have 170mm celotex in between and under 50mm under rafters. The plan is to create sufficient void in the celotex to place speaker in there. Is there likely to be any interference with the foil face of the insulation? What about speaker wire running through/along celotex? Would conduit help in any

way?

was thinking of these https://www.soundandvision.com/content/origin-acousticsbang-olufsen-boc106-ceiling-speaker-review  but with my wallet at the moment will probably go for something like these that folk on here have mentioned https://tech4homes.co.uk/adastra-iw5-in-wall-ceiling-speaker

yes, will have to cut some celotex but was thinking the surrounding peripheral foil may still interfere, but will fit conduit which will also make it easier to replace the cable in future if needed.

The foil won't interfere with anything. It's aluminium anyway so wont have any effect on the magnetic coil side of things. It WILL though nicely short things out like across terminals etc.

Bit of a difference in those speaker prices, even I could afford the fugly ones! :)

I'm a big fan of good old twin and earth for speaker wires. Of course you can kid yourself this, that or the other OFC, £XXX per meter sounds better.