Completion Notice from Council

Hi guys,

Have received a letter from my LA regarding the Council Tax Completion Notice. The completion date mentioned on the letter is actually a month ahead from when we moved in, so that was sort of a bonus :-). I still have one item missing to supply my BC (wheelchair ramp) in order to get the completion certificate. Getting that sorted this week (ordered a ramp, he only asked for pictures of it in place).

Anyways, letter also mentions that a copy was sent to the Listing Officer at the Valuation Office, responsible for placing my property int he correct valuation band.

My question is, how does the valuation works? Will I get a visit from someone? The letter was sent about 4 weeks ago, I am yet to receive any paperwork from the Council to start paying council tax. Anyone that has gone through this could you explain how it will proceed from now? And does the completion certificate affect any of this?

Thanks again for the support!!! :D 

Edited by hmpmarketing

You will get a visit from a surveyor who will measure the external area of the property and base the CT band on that.

You then have a few months to appeal the banding.

Building control completion is quite separate. In out last house it was well over a year before we got BC completion as that was waiting on the garage being completed and that didn't even get started until we had moved in.

• Like 1

@hmpmarketing

There's a good @JSHarris piece about this somewhere.

It may, for example, help to explain that because your walls are all 20" thick there is less internal space, so it is actually less valuable than he thinks and even though it is the size of a bus garage you are actually living in the space of a telephone box. 

Or it may not ¬¬.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

What I did was pre-empt the valuation office survey, by sending them a detailed floor plan with dimensions and floor areas marked, accompanied by a letter explaining that the walls were much thicker than normal.  No one came to look at the house at all, they just did the valuation based on the information I gave them, plus some comparisons with the sale prices of nearby houses over the past few years.

• Like 2

After you get your valuation, if you think there is even the smallest likelihood that you could be considered for a lower band, appeal and give evidence of any nearby / similar-ish properties which have a lower band.  They will often move it down without too much question.

• Like 1