Cavity Socks

Barney12

It seems my local Jewsons can't supply cavity socks for a 50mm cavity :/

Anybody got any good (cheap!) sources? Google doesn't bring back many results and I really cant abide the idea of phoning arround BM's.

OR......have people rolled their own from rockwool slabs?

9 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Or socks that already have holes in them and you can't be bothered to darn them? (I'll get me coat)

I like the idea :) But I was thinking more:

Rockwool slabs cut to 65mm wide and placed inside some of that temporary drainpipe plastic polythene?

• 4 months later...

Old thread I know, but  I got my local Jewsons to order the socks in for me as they don't carry them either. However I myself now have a question. We've used all the ones up the mason asked me to get and I find we actually need 11 more. Given that I'll probably end up paying silly postage for such a small number, or waiting ages again, and the fact we are placing them between the outer face of the SIPs panels and rough and uneven stonework, at window and doors,  it seems to me that fire rated foam would be a more sensible option (and cheaper) as it will fit into every tiny air gap, whereas the socks, although flexible, don't really do so to the same degree.

However, search as I might I can't find anything saying you can use fire rated foam for that specific task (the fire rated foam I'm using for other  tasks like sealing round pipe entries and such is fire rated at over 3 hours, so clearly more than sufficient. The firms data covers all that and mentions suitability for sealing around doors and windows but may not mean the same sort of sealing, but rather gap sealing at the perimeters). The obvious thing would be to ask my BCO, but as my own threads show, this is unfortunately a non starter for us. If I can find it is legal to use for that task, then I will do so and sod him if he doesn't like it , but if I ask him first, he'll have me contacting the SIPs manufacturers, the foam manufacturers, the SIPs building firm, probably the source of the stone and anyone else he can think of (its what he does instead of answering himself) and then if it seems a doable, sensible and cheaper answer he'll say "no" on principle. Does anyone know if somewhere it says you can use fore rated foam for such or what the specific wording may be as I doubt it insists on rockwool specifically?

Edited by curlewhouse

The fire rated foam (and mastic, putty etc) is for fire stopping where services penetrate a fire rated wall and NOT intended for cavity barriers (see Appr Doc B). Also not sure you can make your own as most manufactured products appear to have certification to show at least 30 min protection when tested to BS 476, part ??. Best check with your BCO.

We dumped a load a couple of weeks ago in our pre move-in clear out.  It's really not worth while attempting a DIY because you will still need to convince your BInsp that your home brew attempt achieves the required fire protection.  We bought our online from this site:

Insulation Express.co.uk: Rockwool Fire Barrier.

I am surprised that you are using your local BM.  We found that you can typically get stuff cheaper and faster on the internet.

I use the net for some stuff and the BM for others and just tied the socks in with another order from the BM as there's also the convenience of getting it for zero carriage costs. So most purchases are sourced on a calculation of  cost/time/urgency - Some stuff it's worth paying a little extra for speed of delivery, and some can wait so then cost wins in the decision. The BM branch manager looks after us pretty well re prices on most things and at a minimum price matches usually,  so if they can do that I prefer to get it from them.

Edited by curlewhouse