Best way to fix skirting?

Tennentslager

If your doing a big area and have uneven gaps get an extra gun and cut the caulking tubes at different lengths, one in each gun.

So that one gives a nice fine line for close fitting areas and one cut well back for getting a good thick line for filling bigger gaps.

Oh and cut the tube at an angle like a hypodermic needle...all the better for a neat finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

Can you provide a photograph please as I am struggling to work out what you mean - apologies.:$

IMG_6822.thumb.JPG.0208e079f8cbf990642e9dde9d91e119.JPG

Pre insert a screw as shown with the point just hidden  Sit the wedge against the floor, push it against the skirting until your snug, then send the screw home. Don't let it go right through the floor in case of pipes or cables. 

• Like 1

I used vertical screws and square wedges ... wedging the piece against the screw, or holding it against the skirting to keep it in place, and placing the screw to keep it tight.

That also worked for me.

Interesting skirting profile, @Nickfromwales. I christen that a Mr Magoo !

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

IMG_6822.thumb.JPG.0208e079f8cbf990642e9dde9d91e119.JPG

Pre insert a screw as shown with the point just hidden  Sit the wedge against the floor, push it against the skirting until your snug, then send the screw home. Don't let it go right through the floor in case of pipes or cables. 

Naughty step @Nickfromwales I think @TerryE meant this for an uneven or wavy wall ???IMG_20180101_172113843.thumb.jpg.e25d86810cb79ad4ee22fd4919efd15b.jpg

On 11/14/2017 at 12:51, Onoff said:

You might want some decorators caulk after to go along the top of the skirting where it meets the wall if they (the walls) are not too good. Using it previous I gunned it in, took off the excess with a paint scraper / old credit card then finished off with a wet paint brush.

Old credit card - brilliant suggestion - perfect for a small job I've got coming up.

i'm fairly sure this is what he means viewed from above as this is pertty much the definition of "folding" wedges.

5a4a86faabf0c_foldingwedges.png.6ee2c59da0a933686ccb7f0807fe5f80.png

I would add this will only work if you are working on an unfinished floor e.g will be carpeted.

if you are painting the skirting personally I would just screw it to the wall wherever you have got a big gap 

TBH Nick's way would work fine as long as you put your foot against it while you put the screw in ;) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stones said:

Old credit card - brilliant suggestion - perfect for a small job I've got coming up.

Wish I'd never used my Nectar card for similar in a emergency one time. Not only did I mod it with a Stanley knife I didn't check how many points were on it. I'm reminded every time I'm in Sainsburys when they ask " Do you have a Nectar card?" :)

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

i'm fairly sure this is what he means viewed from above as this is pertty much the definition of "folding" wedges.

5a4a86faabf0c_foldingwedges.png.6ee2c59da0a933686ccb7f0807fe5f80.png

I would add this will only work if you are working on an unfinished floor e.g will be carpeted.

if you are painting the skirting personally I would just screw it to the wall wherever you have got a big gap 

TBH Nick's way would work fine as long as you put your foot against it while you put the screw in ;) 

Is there a design that involves enough bits of wood to require an Octopus to hold them all in place?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Oz07 said:

My god how bad are the walls you lot are fixing to! I've got some acrow props you can use between walls if they're that bad

It's not so funny, I've used extending plasterboard props to hold the skirting in place while the glue dried.

Nick's got a point -- pushing the wedge up and screwing it might work, but we found the wedge method had (as shown by Ed) had two advantages (i) we pre-painted our skirting before fitting and the planed surface of the wedge against the skirting was a lot gentler on the skirting painted surface; (ii) by adjusting the hight of the wedges you can trim the lean of the skirting. 

For some room like the bathroom where we had a floating floor, we used Pete's prop method just using lengths of scrap battening but also used wedges here for the same reason: to protect the skiriting paintwork.

Edited by TerryE
Accidental post too soon.