Advice needed regarding approved PP

whitley

Hey folks just wondering if anyone could advise me i have seen a steading with planning permission i would like to buy there are 2 steadings and the planning permission is for 2 houses to be made but also in the plans both steadings are to be joined together via a new section that needs built.

My question is i would be wanting to make 1 house out of it all not 2,nothing on the plans would change apart from the layout internally,all the exterior would be as whats in the plans,would i need to re apply for full planning permission or would ot be easy to get that changed.

Thanks in advance

I suspect you are in Scotland?

I would say you would need a new planning application. I suspect it would be granted. I would make an offer to buy it subject to planning being granted and get a planning application in.

46 minutes ago, whitley said:

My question is i would be wanting to make 1 house out of it all not 2,nothing on the plans would change apart from the layout internally,all the exterior would be as whats in the plans,would i need to re apply for full planning permission or would ot be easy to get that changed.

I too suspect you'll need full planning. You said there would be no change to the plans, but I assume the original plans had a front door to each property and you may be wanting to change it to one door. That would most likely require new planning.

I also suspect a change from two homes  to one would also mean a full application. You could ask the local council if you'd get away with a non-material variation, but I'd not be optimistic.

Edited by AliMcLeod

I managed to get hold of the architecht and planner who done the original planning for the steading he confirmed that it would need full planning again unfortunately but would be farely straight forward to do

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whitley said:

I managed to get hold of the architecht and planner who done the original planning for the steading he confirmed that it would need full planning again unfortunately but would be farely straight forward to do

Always a good way to start, but doing a little more homework could also be beneficial.

Now you need to consider how much material you can reuse, and think about whether reusing the same consultants would be to your benefit. You will need to get to know them a little to assess them etc, and may or may not need to pay to use their reports depending on what you do and how your new Planning App is written.

If you use the same people a substantial amount of work will be reusable so make sure to drill down into the detail of what they are doing and how many days it will take to keep your bills reasonable.

I would also talk to the Planning Officer to see what he says ... you never know he may say that you do not need to do quite everything.

Or perhaps you plan to do it yourself.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Well the plans actually seem very very basic i expected for them to be quite in depth regarding internal meadurements and materials to be used etc but theres nothing like that? Just a sketch of what the steading would look like when done and the internal lay out of it

Can I just tell you a cautionary tale about a steading.

A guy near here bought one for "conversion." It looked okay apart from the roof, but only had an earth floor inside.  When he started digging to put a concrete floor in,. he found there were no foundations at all for the walls, they were literally build on the ground and digging to lay a concrete floor would undermine the earth they were sitting on.  He ended up doing a knock down and rebuild instead.

I think what I am saying is some steadings are sound and suitable for conversion, some are not. Perhaps you need some form of survey?

I had a builder friend of mine take a look and he thought it was a great barn for a conversion and the foundations was good,it has a concrete floor at present also but i guess you wouldnt know the full extent of the project till you started