Drawstring - polypropylene rope?

That's the stuff I used I think they normally recommend 3/8" which is nearer 10mm. 

If possible pull the cable through the duct before you drop the duct into the trench, especially if there are lot of bends.

Iv'e been buying the 6mm rolls from Srewfix, I really can't imagine that it will snap.

Edit to add, I've just looked at your link, I've been getting robbed o.O

Edited by RichS

Guest Alphonsox

Just be aware that rodents will happily chew this type of rope to bits given a chance. If you need to leave it in place for any length of time the ends need to be capped and protected from the little b******s

1 hour ago, RichS said:

Iv'e been buying the 6mm rolls from Srewfix, I really can't imagine that it will snap.

Edit to add, I've just looked at your link, I've been getting robbed o.O

Toolstation always seem to undercut Screwfix and free delivery over £10 ;)

27 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Just be aware that rodents will happily chew this type of rope to bits given a chance. If you need to leave it in place for any length of time the ends need to be capped and protected from the little b******s

Very good point. I was looking to leaving them in permanantly.

Do you get specific caps or is it a case of making something up and gluing it in place?

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
12 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Very good point. I was looking to leaving them in permanantly.

Do you get specific caps or is it a case of making something up and gluing it in place?

No idea what the correct method is  - So far i've stuffed wire wool down both ends and wrapped duct tape around things. I have no idea how permanent this will be.

Get some expanded metal mesh, either galvanised or stainless, and roll it into a ball and stuff it down the duct.  Tie a bit of fence wire to the end of the pull cord before you do this, and feed it through the ball of expanded metal.

This will stop rodents, yet can easily be pulled out with the draw cord attached when the need arises.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Bt normally drop off a whole roll of about one million metres with 2 lengths of duct. +1 to above. I nearly had a heart attack when I seen the 60 odd mm cable they had to pull thru a 4" duct I laid!

Do they charge for all this?

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

Brilliant, thank you :)

I should have added that a screwed up ball of galvanised chicken wire would probably do the same job.  I just happened to have some expanded metal left over from making the rodent barrier around our slab insulation.