Roofing questions for the brave!

Pocster

36 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Are you joking!!!

Hard to make out from the pics but are you saying all the joints on the tiles are in a line and not 1 nail was used???

You can get roof tiles that are laid like this but they are the wavy looking tiles which yours are definitely not.

Correct 

I did ask 

he said can lay crossbonded or not makes no difference . Nailing he said no point on such a shallow slope ; the nail hole was really for vertical tiles . These are not wavy tiles .

They are interlocking tiles ( not sure if that's clear from the photo ).

i suppose as they overlap each other the chance of a tile 'moving' must be difficult as the tile above it is holding it down .

I would not be happy with this job. More importantly will your BCO be happy with it?

The nail holes are not only for "vertical tiles" they are to hold them down in a storm. Someone mentioned nailing every third row is normal practice and it certainly does not hurt to nail every row. The clips at the bottom edge that clip them to the batten below are to stop the wing getting under and lifting them.

Right !

as you lot have got me worried I went and checked !

these are bloody heavy to move I'll tell you that - they certainly ain't going no where 

can confirm verge nailed 

can confirm on one side final row I.e into gutter nailed ; otherside not done yet as ran out of tiles 

ridge have to take his word for ....

as for checking any 3rd row I can't even lift 'em - too worried they'll break .

they are rock solid I have to be honest - nothing has a hint of moving even at the edge where I can get full access 

you guys stop worrying me !!

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

can confirm on one side final row I.e into gutter nailed ; otherside not done yet as ran out of tiles 

You normally start at the bottom and work up. If he has left the bottom row until last, then they won't be nailed, you simply cannot get in there to nail them.

They may feel solid, but never under estimate the power of wind in a storm. I recall as a child a storm that stripped a whole lot of tiles off the roof of our house. My dad just went up the next day and put them back (replacing the broken ones) none were nailed. If they had been, they probably would have stayed.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You normally start at the bottom and work up. If he has left the bottom row until last, then they won't be nailed, you simply cannot get in there to nail them.

They may feel solid, but never under estimate the power of wind in a storm. I recall as a child a storm that stripped a whole lot of tiles off the roof of our house. My dad just went up the next day and put them back (replacing the broken ones) none were nailed. If they had been, they probably would have stayed.

Now I'm worried again !

i ( if I had done it myself ) would have nailed every tile regardless .

no sleep for me tonight !

Thinking about this there is some kind of lesson to be learnt.

I can't do it because of the height; that's the only reason. Watched enough videos , got this forum and it's not rocket science . I would do it correctly and anything I was unsure of I would get checked. I could do a better job. But because of the height and 'fear' of getting it wrong and doing a bodge job I employ a 'professional'.

He in turn has no fear of heights and effectively does a bodge job.

Will the tiles blow off; unlikely . Will the roof leak unlikely . So for him it's a "job well done" i.e. profitable and quick. Is it sub standard?; yep. Does he care?, nope.

BCO care? ; too be honest and based on my experience probably not TBH.

So!. The lesson is simple. DO IT YOUR F*ECKING SELF! as long as it's not high B|

He's coming back Tuesday to 'finish'. I've withheld cash (yes; it's one of those jobs); so I have leverage.

As a landlord I get lied to and attempt to be manipulated all the time with BS. I shouldn't really of expected any difference here.

Let's at least get *some* tiles nailed in! - the verges should be easy!.

Anyone else in the future reads this thread then take heed. Watch every tile go up and make sure you see some nails. Assuming his 'experience' is greater than yours , whilst seeming common sense might not be.

Not staggering the tile won't make it leak, it just does not look right.  The house next to me, when it was built in 2003, was done like that. To make it even worse, it was done with a tile that was "scored" down the middle, so each concrete tile was meant to look like two slates. With that, you stagger them a 1/4 of a tile so the "slates" look like they are staggered half a tile.  But with them all laid in line, it looks like a slate roof with all the slates in line.

The "error" in this case was employing a builder who you had previously not had the "best" results from?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Not staggering the tile won't make it leak, it just does not look right.  The house next to me, when it was built in 2003, was done like that. To make it even worse, it was done with a tile that was "scored" down the middle, so each concrete tile was meant to look like two slates. With that, you stagger them a 1/4 of a tile so the "slates" look like they are staggered half a tile.  But with them all laid in line, it looks like a slate roof with all the slates in line.

The "error" in this case was employing a builder who you had previously not had the "best" results from?

Well he did another roof for me about 2 years ago . So I can assume those aren't nailed either - though that roof has had no issues .

i personally would of staggered the tiles . To be fair our house ( which is next door to the new build ) doesn't have staggered tiles . Indeed looking out my bedroom window I can't see a roof that does !! 

• 2 weeks later...

RIGHT!

After a lot of grief and almost a fight the roof is finished.

Verge; *all* edges were nailed; I witnessed it. Plastic is fitted pretty darn neat.

'Roofer' tried it on for 'more cash' ; so it got messy at that point.

Indeed for the final payment he refused to come and collect it (I would of busted his jaw); so had to pay one of his men.

The guy who did the plastic wasn't the 'money man' and as far as I can tell did a 100% first class job.

So!; I have a well installed roof finally!.