Roofing questions for the brave!

Pocster

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Finish the batten work on the roof of first. Once your up there you will get the knack of walking on it very quickly. a You won't put your foot throughout the membrane unless you try to ballet dance on it.

Take last 2 trestles of your run and put them on top of your ones that are left. Depending on heights you might need to take the tops of to get them level with your roof. Load out the higher area with osb and tiles when the time comes and do the roof in sections.

Move your scaffold further along then once you are finished the first section.

I take it from your profile pic you are a  roofer? or at least not afraid of heights!

Will do as you say!!

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

No fear of heights but have fell off lots of stuff over the years. Fell about 20ft of a substation and broke my left arm and dislocated the elbow on the right arm. Was very interesting going to the toliet for a few weeks.

Bet that wiped the smile off your face... :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

No fear of heights but have fell off lots of stuff over the years. Fell about 20ft of a substation and broke my left arm and dislocated the elbow on the right arm. Was very interesting going to the toliet for a few weeks.

Thanks. Fills me with confidence!

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I am fully clued up on the healing capabilities of sudocream

Actually referred to here as "butt cream"! :)

Breast milk's the thing for healing cuts and grazes btw. 

• Like 1

Can't do it!

Legs go and feel sick. Just can't deal with it! FFS! FFS!

Getting a quote for a roofer - only need labour and maybe scaffold costs ; have all the materials.

So disappointed! ; wanted to do it ALL!

20 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can't do it!

Legs go and feel sick. Just can't deal with it! FFS! FFS!

Getting a quote for a roofer - only need labour and maybe scaffold costs ; have all the materials.

So disappointed! ; wanted to do it ALL!

Try a calming can of lager beforehand. Just enough to take the edge off. I wouldn't go much above 4% though..... ;)

On 21 August 2017 at 15:14, pocster said:

OK! Next instalment.

I have like a decorators step (the metal thing) and I planned to 'hook' OSB over battons so I could 'walk up' the roof. I'm poop scared of heights and need to take a few pairs of boxers to do this. This is as far as I got O.o (stop laughing!)

The problem is I think is the metal step thing it's just too ropey to use at this height whilst it's on scaffold boards. So! ; any suggestions of a nice and safe way to go from scaffold boards onto the OSB walk way (assuming the OSB idea is good also).

I could make some wooden steps with a hand rail and bolt them to the scaffold boards. I know it's overkill - but better to be safe than sorry - I only need to fall/slip once.... :o

The 'easier' issue is these verge end plastic things. They have a big 'L' inside them; so even I assume that means left. But no matter which way I put them they don't seem to fit!! :o

Any help always appreciated!

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

I missed this post so late answer.

You have your verge cloaks on upside down, the fat end goes at the bottom. L for left, R for right. Each one fits over a single tile end. The one above slots into the lower one to locate the bottom end, and the top end nails or screws in place.

I don't see what your sheet of OSB hung over a tile batten is trying to achieve, other than a slide to ensure you do fall off the roof. As already mentioned, use the tile battens as steps.  Of course with the Scottish system of a sarking board, you can't put your foot through the membrane.

If you are afraid of heights, do not be afraid to get a harness and clip yourself on. It suddenly makes a scary situation a whole lot less scary if you know you will only fall a short distance.

As for getting from the scaffold to the roof, raise the scaffold higher? Or failing that I just used a baby 2 step ladder. Your hop up looks fine for the job.

56 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I missed this post so late answer.

You have your verge cloaks on upside down, the fat end goes at the bottom. L for left, R for right. Each one fits over a single tile end. The one above slots into the lower one to locate the bottom end, and the top end nails or screws in place.

I don't see what your sheet of OSB hung over a tile batten is trying to achieve, other than a slide to ensure you do fall off the roof. As already mentioned, use the tile battens as steps.  Of course with the Scottish system of a sarking board, you can't put your foot through the membrane.

If you are afraid of heights, do not be afraid to get a harness and clip yourself on. It suddenly makes a scary situation a whole lot less scary if you know you will only fall a short distance.

As for getting from the scaffold to the roof, raise the scaffold higher? Or failing that I just used a baby 2 step ladder. Your hop up looks fine for the job.

Once I did a tree walk 

I have a harness and walk among the tree tops 

half my brain knows there's no issue if I fall . The other half is flipping out 

end up fighting yourself - causing some anxiety mess . Logic tells me I'll be ok ; but half my head is in auto panic mode at heights .

always been that way

though I have absailed and para glided . Enjoyed both those immensely as you can imagine !!

Would you feel safer working from say a work positioning rope slung from a strong point the opposite side of the roof?  It's something you can tug on and think "If I do slip it'll hold me!"

Adult nappies are also available! :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Would you feel safer working from say a work positioning rope slung from a strong point the opposite side of the roof?  It's something you can tug on and think "If I do slip it'll hold me!"

Adult nappies are also available! :)

Don't do what I heard of. A bloke tied the rope to his car, that was big and heavy. Didn't keep the keys in his pocket and didn't tell anyone else in the house not to use the car.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once." - Ernest Hemingway

I prefer your version - discretion is the better part of valour, etc.

LOL! My genuinely original quote did sound too good that no-one had done it before!

• Like 1

Right!

Not quite finished. Ran out of tiles and some plastic.

Arrived 7:15am ; left 1:30pm. At peak maybe 11 guys on there whom then disappear after a few hours.

Certainly can't fault the work so far!

Should mention I have used this 'builder' once before. But he's a fecking nightmare to deal with! ; "guess the price", "extras mate" , "Need 1k now to keep the lads happy" all the usual BS - so I was prepared. On the initial inspection before we'd even agreed/argued a price he had called the scaffolder to attend and start erecting anyway!

They work their bollocks off though! - but not surprised taking the cost into account!!!

IMG_5979.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

I was surprised he didn't nail a single tile nor lay them cross bonded .....

If I am understanding that statement, and the pictures, then ALL the joints of all rows are in line, and no tiles are nailed?

Oh dear.

All mine have "coursed" joints, each tile nailed at the top and clipped to the batten at the bottom.

And the bottom row of riles overhanging the gutter seems to me missing. I guess they will just be slotted in with no fixings either?

Sorry to say you could have done a better job yourself.

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

I was surprised he didn't nail a single tile nor lay them cross bonded .....

Are you joking!!!

Hard to make out from the pics but are you saying all the joints on the tiles are in a line and not 1 nail was used???

You can get roof tiles that are laid like this but they are the wavy looking tiles which yours are definitely not.