recommendations for low profile frame sliding glass doors

Adamantium

Dear All,

I am now going through in detail the costings for the build and am looking to reduce areas as much as possible.

i have looked at IDSystems and was pleasantly surprised by their quote for two sets of sliding doors (one four panel spanning 7.5m and one two panel spanning about 5m).

I'm just wondering before I commit to them mentally if there are obvious other companies I should be talking to.

I've been told that rather than a smooth gliding system where the weight of the glass is always on the wheels, I should consider a levered system that rests the frames on the ground when the glass is not travelling to avoid accelerated wear and mishaping of the wheels, bearings and carriages - any truth in this?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Depends what you consider pleasant pricing, but I am so far pleased with my 3G slider from Kommerling which is a lift and slide. I bought it from the continent however, but probably worth considering despite the current crap exchange rate.

15 hours ago, Barney12 said:

We have a 4m wide Internorm HS330 'lift and slide'. Its a thing of engineering beauty but not cheap :( 

I realise I could ask them, but if you happen to know, do you know their maximum width?

• 5 months later...
On 8/9/2017 at 18:45, Barney12 said:

We have a 4m wide Internorm HS330 'lift and slide'. Its a thing of engineering beauty but not cheap :( 

Are you still happy with it? We looked at the Internorm HS330 and their UPCV equivalent KS430 in a showroom. I agree, seems very nice, but not cheap. The timber version not only costs more, but also weighs a lot more too - significantly harder to open/close/slide which swayed us towards the plastic version.

We're looking at a triple glazed sliding door with a low-profile sill for an upstairs room onto a small balcony, the opening is 3m wide by 2.7m high. As a single unit the height seems to rule out all of the suppliers I've looked at (other than Internorm), but have I overlooked anyone? Thanks!

Update: To be clear, looking for installation too.

Edited by DenkiJidousha
Clarification

Thanks - certainly Ideal Combi have a low-profile sliding door, but the website is light on details like maximum sizes:

https://idealcombi.com/doors/sliding-doors/low-threshold-sliding-door/

Zooming in on their photos, it seems these sliding doors use some sort of lever in each of the four corners which supports the moving panel. I'm curious to see more details of this mechanism, but suspect it puts a weight limit on the frame and glass - so it unlikely to work on larger panels?

On 29/01/2018 at 22:32, DenkiJidousha said:

Zooming in on their photos, it seems these sliding doors use some sort of lever in each of the four corners which supports the moving panel.

Be sure to discern the two different types they offer;

https://products.idealcombi.com/en/product/futura-plus-sliding-door-with-low-threshold/

https://products.idealcombi.com/en/product/futura-plus-sliding-door/

We have two 4.5m Gaulhofer lift & slide (The inline 91 slim style). Very pleased with the style and performance (triple glazed passive certified), despite the weight you can move it with a single finger once its on the wheels. We built up the internal and external floor to be flush with the door threshold - looks very sharp. 

I know they can go much larger in size so your budget is the limit :)

We looked at Internorm, also nice, but when we tried to get the price down their suggestion was to flip from alu clad timber / alu clad UVPC which was not what we wanted at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Another possibility: Solarlux SL 160 lift-and-slide-system, maximum panel height of 3400 mm, width of 3200 mm

https://www.solarlux.co.uk/en/sliding-systems/terrasse-balkon-wintergarten.cfm

(I've seen several references to their bifold doors on here, but not to their lift-and-slide)

Edited by DenkiJidousha
typo

On 1/31/2018 at 08:33, Bitpipe said:

We have two 4.5m Gaulhofer lift & slide (The inline 91 slim style). Very pleased with the style and performance (triple glazed passive certified), despite the weight you can move it with a single finger once its on the wheels. We built up the internal and external floor to be flush with the door threshold - looks very sharp. 

I know they can go much larger in size so your budget is the limit :)

Budget may well be the limit ;)

According to https://www.gaulhofer.com/uk/contact/search-authorized-dealers their only official UK dealer is EcoWin, but luckily they're only an hour or so away from us. I've emailed an enquiry.

On 1/31/2018 at 08:33, Bitpipe said:

We looked at Internorm, also nice, but when we tried to get the price down their suggestion was to flip from alu clad timber / alu clad UVPC which was not what we wanted at all.

I preferred the look of the wood/aluminium Internorm HS330, but their UPVC/aluminium KS430 was cheaper and noticeably lighter which swung us. We were going to go with that, but the installation price has just jumped after their site visit assessment, so I'm rethinking this.

4 minutes ago, DenkiJidousha said:

Budget may well be the limit ;)

According to https://www.gaulhofer.com/uk/contact/search-authorized-dealers their only official UK dealer is EcoWin, but luckily they're only an hour or so away from us. I've emailed an enquiry.

I preferred the look of the wood/aluminium Internorm HS330, but their UPVC/aluminium KS430 was cheaper and noticeably lighter which swung us. We were going to go with that, but the installation price has just jumped after their site visit assessment, so I'm rethinking this.

Thomas at Ecowin has done a couple of builds here, including mine. I had a good experience with them but Gaulhofer are not a budget brand :)

WRT weight, whats the concern? I can move my 500kg slider with a single finger...

• Thanks 1

I've the Internorm UPVC/aluminium KS430 in my own house that's 5.4m wide 2.2m high and very happy with it. Moves very easy. Couldn't afford the timber version myself but I'm putting in the wood/aluminium Internorm HS330 in another house for a client. The problem I have is the KS430 can go to 6.5m wide so presumed the timber HS330 was the same and designed an ope 6.5m wide and 2.7m high. Having to reduce the ope to 5.8m wide now as I don't want a joint. The only other timber aluclad 2.7m high lift and slide I could find was Platin 82 Josko's Slim but was a lot more expensive. Not sure if they could do the large width I want as I stopped inquiring when I saw the price.

I've no idea how the OP would get 7.5m in one piece without going aluminium section.

Once up on their wheels, the Internorm HS330 and KS430 both run easily - single finger. However, if fitted with the slam protection widget (I don't recall its official name), you need a bit of muscle or technique to open them. There's the handle turn to lift, then leaning with your body was recommended to overcome this safety tensioner. The sales person did say many of their elderly customers deliberate do not have this soft closing feature because it makes opening that little bit harder.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

We had our Internorm UPVC/aluminium KS430 big sliding door installed summer 2018, and  it has as hoped improved the room comfort - warmer in winter and cooler in summer (although the weather has been relatively mild so not stress tested yet), in addition to improving the view! Being able to leave the dock open half an inch (or more) in the locked position is very handy for ventilation while out of the house.

I've yet to convince my spouse that we should replace the rest of the old double glazing, but did go as far as getting quotes from Internorm/Scotia and EcoWin.