Charlie Luxton builds his MBC-style EPS founds

richi

The underrated Mr. Luxton is self-building in the Cotswolds, as covered by the overrated H&R magazine. I thought the Passive Slab fans might be interested in the system he's using:

Full playlist at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hiRazqQFrU&list=PLwMzOUIf2_b6FIG18FbvgQZUrBMxOsO_r

Edited by richi
linky-linky
  • Like 7

Good taste in Teeshirt colour.

I know a 15 year old who has just painted her bedroom that colour, and it looks quite cool.

(Update: Her dad is going to repaint the skirting and the picture rail, and then introduce her to the concept of masking tape.)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Thanks for finding that, would anybody like to hazard a guess as to the company he got the insulation off. 

Kay Metzeler in Chelmsford (Essex)

At least, they make the grey insulation that was mentioned (as well as EPS 75, 100, 200 et.al.)

Edited by IanR
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IanR said:

Kay Metzeler in Chelmsford (Essex)

At least, they make the grey insulation that was mentioned (as well as EPS 75, 100, 200 et.al.)

Thats who supplied our blocks of EPS 200 for the basement foundation and the EPS70 to clad the basement walls. Just plain 2400x1200x300 blocks, no fancy forms.

• Like 1

A pretty complex build. I like the explanation of the tortuous planning process. He's clearly put a lot of effort and money into getting the final consent. 

Not sure about that waterproofing though. What's the matter with a DPM?

9 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

I guess the swelling layer is belt-and-braces. Perhaps he doesn't trust the tape being used to join the sheets? 

7 minutes ago, richi said:

If he's getting them free or at a reduced price, he should be saying so. Otherwise, he's violating an ASA code.

Call me cynical but surely that's easily overcome by:

1. Supplier/manufacturer charging an agreed price.

2. Him (or his agent/production company) invoicing the supplier/manufacturer for professional services. 

Actaully i I am cynical most of the time :) 

Great programme.

On 9 August 2017 at 00:21, RandAbuild said:

On 9 August 2017 at 09:38, richi said:

I guess the swelling layer is belt-and-braces. Perhaps he doesn't trust the tape being used to join the sheets? 

Might be wrong but don't think i heard him say he was using waterproof concrete...in which case the 'dual' element the swelling layer provides might be important from a structural warranty perspective if nothing else.

It looks like good stuff....I think he was being a little bit 'TV drama' regarding fear of wet weather as the swelling layer was face down (and the data sheet says it can be laid in damp conditions), although i'm sure i'd be just as jumpy....I used a similarish Sikaproof product and the jointing tape had to be kept dry before and during application.... it is crazy sticky.

I look forward to seeing how he's choosing to waterproof the Stepoc walls.  They look like a back breaking version of icf with the same inherent problem that he never gets to see the concrete he poured....which concerns me in a "one chance only" backfilled waterproof retaining wall scenario.  I'm inspired to look at it though for a garden wall scenario that was about to cost £10k in shuttered RC.

I think the advantages of the Stepoc hollow blocks, over the two layers of 215mm wide hollow blocks that we used, were that the Stepoc blocks didn't need mortar and looked a bit lighter to lift over the rebar.  Our guys were sweating buckets lifting standard wide hollow blocks over rebar during some pretty warm weather.  It was probably one of the worst bits of the job.

• 2 weeks later...