Do I sack my builder? Help me think this through please.

Well, went to visit Cumbrian Nicks build yesterday. Straight out of Beatrix Potter, site to die for, so secluded  I couldn't find it when I was a few hundred yards away, innovative design, more cabling than a Google Data Centre, and within walking distance of a hidden gem of a village. The kind of place where every winter you'd fervently wish to get snowed in. It was a real treat. Thanks Nick.

=====================================================

The deed is done, we parted company with the builder on Friday on good if not cordial terms. 

I went straight out and bought £300 worth of safety gear: harnesses , strops, carabiners.  I feel so much better for having done that. Watching the builders waltzing nonchalantly waltzing around on the scaffolding with an unprotected  30 foot drop on one side made my fingertips sizzle. I did point it out several times, but got laughed at.

I'm mulling over getting a safety net or two.

Durisol Rep is coming on Tuesday, plus one of his mates, and we are pouring at 11. O'Reilly's pump is arriving at 10. I'm busy today making a 'Flush-Pond' for the excess concrete from the next two pours. At least then, we'll have a nice hard temporary working surface for the rest of the build. Builder's mate today? Debbie :D. Prettier than all the others.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Well, went to visit Cumbrian Nicks build yesterday. Straight out of Beatrix Potter, site to die for, so secluded  I couldn't find it when I was a few hundred yards away, innovative design, more cabling than a Google Data Centre, and within walking distance of a hidden gem of a village. The kind of place where every winter you'd fervently wish to get snowed in. It was a real treat. Thanks Nick.

Good to meet you and show off the site, hopefully I'll get down to your place for a squizz in the next week or two - glad you like it :-)

• 5 years later...
On 08/08/2017 at 08:47, SteamyTea said:

What buildhub needs is a caravan, then when any of us with a bit of time to spare, can go and helps out.

Think of it as 'disaster relief'.

Has anyone bought the caravan yet? If not, I will chip in and provide parking space in my back garden which has been turned into a builder's yard since June 2021 when the "so-called" builder knocked down the sun room to build an extension. The first extension was demolished. There were too many faults  and deviations from the building warrant. Alas, 15 months later the builder, who has the right to remediate, has not yet completed the task.