Chartered Fire Engineer?

Jeremy Harris

I've been asked to try and help someone out who lives in a nine storey building, that has been clad in a similar way to Grenfell Tower.  The residents have had some advice and have now fitted a linked alarm system, and changed the "action in the event of fire instructions" from stay put with the doors closed, to evacuate, with an evacuation plan.  They are now looking for a Chartered Fire Engineer who is prepared to evaluate the fire risk from their cladding system and come up with the best way to make their building comply with both the building regulations and the requirements of the local fire officer.

Just to avoid this thread getting derailed, the cladding and insulation was applied before the last change to the building regs, was probably compliant at the time it was fitted (over ten years ago), and the building is privately owned and occupied.  The legal situation with regard to the cladding and compliance with Part B is still an ongoing issue, I believe, but the residents primary concern is to find someone who can act for them in coming up with a plan to help them make their building safe.  The chap I'm trying to help is chairman of the residents management organisation, and also a resident.  The building was built new in 2004/5 (so just out of the NHBC warranty period) and currently they have been advised by building control and the fire and rescue service that their initial mitigation action makes the building safe enough to live in for now.  The cladding is the same as that on Grenfell Tower, but was fitted when the building was constructed.

A personal recommendation for a suitable Chartered Fire Engineer would be preferred over just choosing one at random.

Edited by JSHarris