Leaking shower - my fault or the design?

This week the OH and I removed a bath and refitted a shower room for my (aging) parents.  They didnt want to spend a huge amount and we ended up getting it all from B&Q - the Cooke and Lewis Exuberance Rectangular shower encosure with single sliding door and the Cooke and Lewis Lagan shower tray.

The quality was quite good for the price, IMO, and we followed the instructions (pictures only) to the letter.  We also followed @Nickfromwales's advice and used Sikaflex EBT to create an upstand when we positioned the tray against the wall. 

However, when we used the shower to test it out, there was a load of water coming from the base of the enclosure on the side wall nearest the shower, where it joins the wall.

When constructed, the glass panels were slid into a metal (aluminium maybe) trim which in turn, slid into the section which we had glued and screwed to the wall.  the base of the glass panels fixed into another trim but these also had a plastic thingy (technical term for the non-plumbers) which we think seals the glass into the trim so no water can get in.  But not at the side panel. 

As the shower tray has a completely flat bit for the enclosure to sit on, we were a  bit concerned about water seeping under the enclosure as we hadnt been told to stick it down with sealant.  So I used some Sikaflex and applied a thin bead all around the base, sealing the bottom of the enclosure to the tray, on the inside.

The water seems to be getting through the part where the glass panel fits into the first metal trim.  It does seems strange that it did not need sealant or a plastic/rubber seal.  But I wonder if I actually created the problem here.  Maybe the design is for the water to get into that area but then drain out the bottom - although what would stop it draining out the outside, I dont know.

In the end some clear CT1 in a bead all the way up that join seems to have slowed the water escaping but not completely.  At least it was just seeping slowly out rather than pouring out. And that was with the shower head pointing straight at it, which isnt going to happen under normal use.

Was it me or the design? 

DSC_1688.thumb.JPG.31189e8e01265184627dc2dfcb7190ed.JPG

The bit where we think the water is getting through is that black line where the glass was slid into the metal trim, which then slid into the wall trim, already fixed to the wall.You can see the thin bead of sikaflex that I applied all round the base.

On my shower the aluminium chanel was stuck down to the tray with sealer and then more sealer (just a little) was put into the Chanel before the glass was fitted. Finally a small filet was run along where the glass meets the chanel.

The sealant around the base is your problem I think.

This should be left sealant free to allow any water that gets into the framework to escape into the shower tray, not go the other way.

10 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

As the shower tray has a completely flat bit for the enclosure to sit on, we were a  bit concerned about water seeping under the enclosure as we hadnt been told to stick it down with sealant.  So I used some Sikaflex and applied a thin bead all around the base, sealing the bottom of the enclosure to the tray, on the inside.

Sealant should go on the outside - any water that gets into the frame will then exit via the inside as it can't go anywhere else.

oh dear - thats what I didnt want to hear.  shame its not explained on the instructions.  Maybe I can remove some of the sealant on the inside.  we cannot get to the outside without removing the rest of the bathroom furnature and thats probably not going to happen.

thanks for the advice.  :(

Ok, did you run a bead of sealant along the shower tray the the outermost edge and down? Not the fundemental upstand seal, another after fitting the wall panels but PRIOR to fitting the enclosure? Next, and this won't be your fault, it'll be the shit instructions from the B&Q stuff, did you run a bead of clear from the outside of the tray, up the outside of the chrome profile where the horizontal and vertical intersect, and then a bead of clear about another 100mm or so up the glass panel, where it meets the vertical profile?

Next question, did you apply clear to the rear of the wall profile prior to fitting?

As everyone else has said, no sealant on the inside, other than the vertical wall profile sorry. The instructions usually do say this :/. Capillary action draws splashing water into the friction joint between the wall profile and the enclosure profile, the ones screwed after fitting together, and that water drops straight down. When it gets to the bottom it needs to be able to drain out, inwards into the tray. You've stopped that from happening with the internal horizontal bead you applied. 

Lets go from there, but you'll now need a plastic tool and some CT1 Multisolve spray to remove and clean the Sikaflex. Not an enviable task I'm afraid. 

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, did you run a bead of sealant along the shower tray the the outermost edge and down? no.

Not the fundemental upstand seal, another after fitting the wall panels but PRIOR to fitting the enclosure? Next, and this won't be your fault, it'll be the shit instructions from the B&Q stuff, did you run a bead of clear from the outside of the tray, up the outside of the chrome profile where the horizontal and vertical intersect, and then a bead of clear about another 100mm or so up the glass panel, where it meets the vertical profile? no!

Next question, did you apply clear to the rear of the wall profile prior to fitting? yes.

As everyone else has said, no sealant on the inside, other than the vertical wall profile sorry. The instructions usually do say this :/. Capillary action draws splashing water into the friction joint between the wall profile and the enclosure profile, the ones screwed after fitting together, and that water drops straight down. When it gets to the bottom it needs to be able to drain out, inwards into the tray. You've stopped that from happening with the internal horizontal bead you applied. 

Lets go from there, but you'll now need a plastic tool and some CT1 Multisolve spray to remove and clean the Sikaflex. Not an enviable task I'm afraid. 

okay - I can do that.  :(  Do I have to take it from all round the base and then do a new bead on the outside??  it will be difficult as the basin unit is in the way.

Maybe we should have a post of simple instructions for showers and bathroom fittings that the suppliers dont tell you.