Housewide audio

Pocster

Guest Alphonsox
26 minutes ago, pocster said:

I'm just gonna shove this over the speaker!

http://thermahooddirect.com/Shop-Now/#th-001-thermahood-downlight-covers

I wouldn't expect those to improve sound quality - in fact they may make it significantly worse. It looks like the reverse travelling sound wave would be directly reflected with little or no attenuation.

1 minute ago, Alphonsox said:

I wouldn't expect those to improve sound quality - in fact they may make it significantly worse. It looks like the reverse travelling sound wave would be directly reflected with little or no attenuation.

BOC will like them because they are fire retartdent  B|

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Whilst we’re on the subject of Fanboism, I bought a couple of plain old Sonos Play 1s (bargain) at Xmas (Alexa can frank bough).

They have been an absolute revelation. I admit I had failed to fully grasp the concept before. Using a Bluetooth speaker had been acceptable but I found my phone  often interrupted, alerts etc. The Sonos speaker is an internet radio/streamer that I control with my phone so it sorts itself out I just pick what I want. 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Whilst we’re on the subject of Fanboism, I bought a couple of plain old Sonos Play 1s (bargain) at Xmas (Alexa can frank bough).

They have been an absolute revelation. I admit I had failed to fully grasp the concept before. Using a Bluetooth speaker had been acceptable but I found my phone  often interrupted, alerts etc. The Sonos speaker is an internet radio/streamer that I control with my phone so it sorts itself out I just pick what I want. 

I agree, the Sonos product range is exceptional. Paired with Spotify it makes for a compelling whole house audio solution. I have wired 4 principal rooms for ceiling speakers and each room is being driven by dedicated Sonos Connect Amps (centrally located). The other rooms will have Play:1 or 3’s for occasional use. The lounge will have a playbar and sub.

Add to this SkyQ and you’ve really got whole house AV nailed with a good upgrade path in the future.

This is a big departure for me. My previous projects have always had full whole house AV setups from the likes of Xantech (as one example). But, technology has largely left such systems redundant imho. That is unless you’ve really “gone for it” with a fully integrated system from the likes of Crestron or Control4.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

I agree, the Sonos product range is exceptional. Paired with Spotify it makes for a compelling whole house audio solution. I have wired 4 principal rooms for ceiling speakers and each room is being driven by dedicated Sonos Connect Amps (centrally located). The other rooms will have Play:1 or 3’s for occasional use. The lounge will have a playbar and sub.

Add to this SkyQ and you’ve really got whole house AV nailed with a good upgrade path in the future.

This is a big departure for me. My previous projects have always had full whole house AV setups from the likes of Xantech (as one example). But, technology has largely left such systems redundant imho. That is unless you’ve really “gone for it” with a fully integrated system from the likes of Crestron or Control4.

I think things like Raspberry PI and similar must make Sonos/Bose etc. not sleep at night.

The Sonos kit is nice; but still has issues streaming! - given that is ALL the company do it would be nice to work near 99% of the time.

I think wiring speakers back to a central point is obviously the best route as you can change the 'source' at anytime.

Raspberry PI zero with a zero amp hat on it back powered (not powered from pi) is more than good enough for a 'standard' room. Cost?; £50 ish or less. That's pretty amazing.

For larger rooms (like the lounge) I have raspberry pi 3 with much meater AMP hat - easily sufficient unless I want to suffer deafness.....

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I think things like Raspberry PI and similar must make Sonos/Bose etc. not sleep at night.

I very much doubt it. Their market segment has little desire to be creating ‘home brew’ solutions. I’m not in anyway saying that a Pi and amp are inferior but the vast majority of Bose/Sonos customers just couldn’t be arsed! :) 

43 minutes ago, pocster said:

The Sonos kit is nice; but still has issues streaming! - given that is ALL the company do it would be nice to work near 99% of the time.

I think wiring speakers back to a central point is obviously the best route as you can change the 'source' at anytime.

Raspberry PI zero with a zero amp hat on it back powered (not powered from pi) is more than good enough for a 'standard' room. Cost?; £50 ish or less. That's pretty amazing.

For larger rooms (like the lounge) I have raspberry pi 3 with much meater AMP hat - easily sufficient unless I want to suffer deafness.....

Sir, may I interest you in the Apple/IPad thread...

38 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

If you could play YouTube via a Sonos it would make it unreal.

I was initially disappointed to find that 'Audible' is not compatible with Sonos but realistically I'm not sure it's something I'd use and the phone speaker or BT is ok for that. 

Likewise I don't (currently) miss any lack of youtube support.

1 minute ago, pocster said:

And that’s exactly what you use to control them via iPeng or indigo on a headless mac ?

Its about the whole nice looking thing that's easy to use out of the box that does 99% of what people want.

2 minutes ago, daiking said:

Its about the whole nice looking thing that's easy to use out of the box that does 99% of what people want.

Sure thing . Cost be the incentive to go diy . Tbh once setup very little seems to go wrong .