Great Customer Service

We often hear of poor service on here and only infrequently of great service. 

Just ordered a new trailer number plate after busting mine in half. Twenty minutes after placing the order it was dispatched and should be here tomorrow. 

That's pretty amazing.  Might be an idea to give the firm a free plug (mods permitting) as good service deserves a reward.

Out of interest, how did they get around the legal stuff, copy of the V5, driving licence, etc?  Last time I had a trailer plate made up it was a right faff, with them scanning in documents and getting some sort of approval from the DfT .

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

That's pretty amazing.  Might be an idea to give the firm a free plug (mods permitting) as good service deserves a reward.

Out of interest, how did they get around the legal stuff, copy of the V5, driving licence, etc?  Last time I had a trailer plate made up it was a right faff, with them scanning in documents and getting some sort of approval from the DfT .

The 'legal' aspect of plates is a complete joke. Any seller just needs to say they are 'show plates' (i.e. Not for road use) in their T@C's and the law doesn't apply! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

The 'legal' aspect of plates is a complete joke. Any seller just needs to say they are 'show plates' (i.e. Not for road use) in their T@C's and the law doesn't apply! 

I didn't know that, thanks.  I need to see if I can have a set of plates made up without the bloody EU flag:D

I agree the law is a joke.  I usually have two sets of plates, one with my personal reg on, plus the ones with the original reg (now the "shadow" reg) that the car will be sold with (even if new they do this).  Over the years I've had the personal plate I've realised that the "shadow plate" remains the same - vehicles with personal plates have two registration numbers, in effect.  I keep the "shadow plates" as when I trade the car in, or sell it, the "shadow registration" will end up being re-issued by DVLC to the car, so this saves the hassle (and cost) of having another set of plates made up.

The embuggerance this nonsense with having two registrations for the same vehicle causes is a nuisance, as manufacturer recalls are always against the "shadow plate", not the one on the car, but with my name and address (no idea how that works).  This means that when I take the car in for a recall (this has happened to me three times now, over the past ten years or so), I end up in an argument with the dealer, because they refuse to accept that the recall letter I have applies to a car with a different registration number.

On the plus side, it does mean I never have to change the registration on either of my trailers...........

Edited by JSHarris

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I didn't know that, thanks.  I need to see if I can have a set of plates made up without the bloody EU flag.............

I agree the law is a joke.  I usually have two sets of plates, one with my personal reg on, plus the ones with the original reg (now the "shadow" reg) that the car will be sold with (even if new they do this).  Over the years I've had the personal plate I've realised that the "shadow plate" remains the same - vehicles with personal plates have two registration numbers, in effect.  I keep the "shadow plates" as when I trade the car in, or sell it, the "shadow registration" will end up being re-issued by DVLC to the car, so this saves the hassle (and cost) of having another set of plates made up.

The embuggerance this nonsense with having two registrations for the same vehicle causes is a nuisance, as manufacturer recalls are always against the "shadow plate", not the one on the car, but with my name and address (no idea how that works).  This means that when I take the car in for a recall (this has happened to me three times now, over the past ten years or so), I end up in an argument with the dealer, because they refuse to accept that the recall letter I have applies to a car with a different registration number.

On the plus side, it does mean I never have to change the registration on either of my trailers...........

I'm in exactly the same situation. Both the wife and I have private plates. I've used this seller the last couple of times:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-PAIR-Front-Rear-OF-UK-NUMBER-PLATES-100-ROAD-LEGAL-QUALITY-ACRYLIC-/352127078963?hash=item51fc68d233:g:AmwAAOSwkI5ZeyyP

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

why not just pop into the local motor factors?

That's what I did last time.  I had to produce the V5, plus my driving licence, plus a utility bill in my name, before they would make a set of plates up.  I ended up sat there for around half an hour whilst they got DVLA approval and then made the plates up.

Halfords was worse.  I only used them once, but I was hanging around for over an hour whilst they faffed around with the paperwork.

19 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

That's what I did last time.  I had to produce the V5, plus my driving licence, plus a utility bill in my name, before they would make a set of plates up.  I ended up sat there for around half an hour whilst they got DVLA approval and then made the plates up.

Halfords was worse.  I only used them once, but I was hanging around for over an hour whilst they faffed around with the paperwork.

My garage charged me £14 for a front plate to pass its MOT this week. Worth the money not to have to put up with all that.

54 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I didn't know that, thanks.  I need to see if I can have a set of plates made up without the bloody EU flag:D

Thanks for that info Jeremy, I was about to destroy the original plates for my car as I have personal plates. I will put them away until I sell the car.

Most Ebay number plate sellers will sell as "Show" plates without the need for documentation however the plates need the postcode of the number plate producer at the bottom of the plate to pass the MOT technically. 

3 minutes ago, Ashburyselfbuild said:

Thanks for that info Jeremy, I was about to destroy the original plates for my car as I have personal plates. I will put them away until I sell the car.

Most Ebay number plate sellers will sell as "Show" plates without the need for documentation however the plates need the postcode of the number plate producer at the bottom of the plate to pass the MOT technically. 

Which the seller I linked to does.

"Plates are manufactured to BS AU145d British Standard and have the BS mark, the supplier's details in a discreet 2mm height, to conform with current legislation. The spacing of the VRM will be as required by the legislation."
Edited by Barney12

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Halfrauds! 

Quite like Halfords. Our local has v. pleasant staff.

You can always stack all of their different offers until the central computer moans.

Hardly ever need to pay more than about 55-60% of the price for the things I buy :-).

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Halfrauds! 

Mine are c*****. They sold me my TomTom. Nearly £300. Slipped their mind to mention you had to pay here and ever after for Live Services, Maps and cameras. The thing won't update now either on any OS.  Door stop, 'kin useless. They want over £100 to repair. Can't be much wrong with it. Pretty sure it was one of their updates that stopped future updates. Even bought a genuine usb lead off of them (no good). Offered a paltry discount off a new one by TomTom. All you ever get is some call centre that can't speak English and email replies completely missing the issue.

Edited by Onoff

I needed some extra bungs for the distribution boxes for the mvhr, I rang BPC about my predicament, they arrived first thing next day and I'd only spoken to them late afternoon, impressive!

No cost either

Edited by j_s

• 2 years later...
On 03/08/2017 at 19:14, Barney12 said:

I'm in exactly the same situation. Both the wife and I have private plates. I've used this seller the last couple of times:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-PAIR-Front-Rear-OF-UK-NUMBER-PLATES-100-ROAD-LEGAL-QUALITY-ACRYLIC-/352127078963?hash=item51fc68d233:g:AmwAAOSwkI5ZeyyP

This seller is no longer going it appears. D'you know of any other seller who doesn't want documents sent through the post?

13 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

by law they need sight of them now AFAIK. Local factors, or big-ish dealership that has their own machine?

I'm a muppet! The local factors does them! ?

I was in there tonight as well. Got that wheel bearing kit I pm'd you about btw, tenner.

• Like 1