metal tiles

Archer

I think this may have been done elsewhere, but any views or experiences with metal Decra / Metro-tiles? Considering as an option for our extension... they are quite common on conservatories - just wondering if it would look a bit naff compared to normal plain tiles when up or if it would be difficult to notice the difference? Also how expensive are they - look like they would be quicker to install or DIY even.

There are a few houses up here on Skye with Decra. From driving past, you can't tell the difference, IMO. But that's where the whole house is done with them, it might be much more obvious on an extension.

I'm a fan of metal for roofing, having recently done my new build in corrugated.

Quite a few house up here that use Decra / Metrotile.  My neighbour has his house roof covered with slate, but an adjoined outbuilding covered with a roman tile effect Metrotile in teal blue.  The contrast makes it work visually.  It's mostly social housing up here that uses Decra / Metrotile, which does diminish it in the eyes of some.  Looks okay from a distance, less so close up IMHO. 

@Archer

yes, I've used Metrotile 'slate' in charcoal grey and I was very impressed by them although I wouldn't describe them as cheap by any means. Also, it's a personal choice but I think they are better suited to a stand alone building rather than on an extension where I think they might look odd next to existing roof materials.

The main advantage of the Metrotile mineral coated tiles compared to the more typical plain metal roof sheets is the improved noise reduction. 

They are well suited to sites which are exposed to high winds as the tiles are mechanically fixed top and bottom.

Edited by Ian