Shower, tray, tiles, and all the rest...

On 04/08/2017 at 19:28, ProDave said:

It's SWMBO who has decreed "No sealant, no channels" 

Fitted the glass today. 

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.cf49756657f618b9fd3a20f3764dd221.JPG

1.5 x 10 x 1.5 receiver. Minimalist as it can get. 

IMG_6185.thumb.JPG.c47193c1b6c1a05d5f9ad39745563eae.JPG

Slid into the wall channel and lowered into a generous bead of CT1. 

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.7953de66bc61b29e0de2241ab738f235.JPG

Measured so it ended where the grout lines intersected. 

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.595e55f81df66907173bcc66a35361eb.JPG

CT1 displaced ready for the wet wipes

IMG_6188.thumb.JPG.396e5d0ea48d126f386a5d98cf2621ef.JPG

Wiped up and looking slick. ;)  

IMG_6189.thumb.JPG.8d79c5d9ace4a6c7d0d7510e0a530ec7.JPG

The wall channel after the gaps were CT1'd and cleaned back with wipes. 

IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.69457db81fda3aa523d3cb6af5c71516.JPG

Side view of the channel after sealing. 

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.58c59a029a822af45e4c156c91cc531d.JPG

Bird is the word. ?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Fitted the glass today. 

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.cf49756657f618b9fd3a20f3764dd221.JPG

1.5 x 10 x 1.5 receiver. Minimalist as it can get. 

IMG_6185.thumb.JPG.c47193c1b6c1a05d5f9ad39745563eae.JPG

Slid into the wall channel and lowered into a generous bead of CT1. 

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.7953de66bc61b29e0de2241ab738f235.JPG

Measured so it ended where the grout lines intersected. 

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.595e55f81df66907173bcc66a35361eb.JPG

CT1 displaced ready for the wet wipes

IMG_6188.thumb.JPG.396e5d0ea48d126f386a5d98cf2621ef.JPG

Wiped up and looking slick. ;)  

IMG_6189.thumb.JPG.8d79c5d9ace4a6c7d0d7510e0a530ec7.JPG

The wall channel after the gaps were CT1'd and cleaned back with wipes. 

IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.69457db81fda3aa523d3cb6af5c71516.JPG

Side view of the channel after sealing. 

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.58c59a029a822af45e4c156c91cc531d.JPG

Bird is the word. ?

Is that just a flat floor Nick? No slope back to the drain? 

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

So done like this it's pretty strong? You could lean against it without problems? What if you fell against it?

What about if two people were "leaning" on it? ;)

It is quite robust, but I have recommended a horizontal stay bar.  The customer has declined, and accepted responsibility but I have a feeling they'll end up fitting one. They refused to have a fan, insisting that through ventilating would be observed and a fan wasn't necessary ( and deemed clutter ). "He who pays the piper calls's the tune" ¬¬

If two people were "leaning on it" you'd be going for the dustpan and brush, but that would likely be the outcome even with the stay bar :S.  :ph34r:

Lovely job there, Nick.

Update on my wee problem- I was running into difficulties on eBay with listings claiming to post a screen and tray to my address, but then hitting a brick wall when I tried to actually buy. However I managed some jiggery-pokery by changing address part way through the process, which let me go through to the next stage- even though the new address was one which had been refused when I'd entered it initially. I didn't expect this to actually get me anywhere, but they took my money and this morning it was marked as 'dispatched'! I wait with baited breath to see if anything will actually turn up...

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If two people were "leaning on it" you'd be going for the dustpan and brush, but that would likely be the outcome even with the stay bar :S.  :ph34r:

Fair enough, I'll fit some grab handles to the wall! ;)

Still trying to get my head around the order in which I should do all the work.

I'm going to go for vinyl flooring, which normally I would just get a price for inc fitting. However it occurs to me that I might tackle this myself. If I put it down first, it only needs to be a neat fit in one corner of the room, and along those two walls. On the other two sides it will fly underneath the shower tray and the WC/basin furniture unit, so the edge will be hidden.

The edges that meet the walls will then have skirting to hide them. I'm wondering if I could have a wee bead of sealant on the underside of the skirting to seal it to the vinyl.

Or should I be approaching this is a totally diffeent way/order?

I find a bit here and there makes the job last much longer. Try some studwork followed by some plumbing then a bit of boarding to spice things up. Maybe mix up some concrete but leave an area to do "later". Good to beer off (an apt auto correct if ever there was one) in another direction completely and start another or multiple unrelated projects.

Works for me... :ph34r:

...because it sounds easier that way...?

Not under the whole thing, mind. Just a few inches. Now you've got me thinking, though, I guess there's too much scope for movement as the vinyl compresses? Plus I might need to pack the tray up by the same amount all the way around?

11 minutes ago, Crofter said:

...because it sounds easier that way...?

Not under the whole thing, mind. Just a few inches. Now you've got me thinking, though, I guess there's too much scope for movement as the vinyl compresses? Plus I might need to pack the tray up by the same amount all the way around?

Your tray is going flat on the floor without legs yes / no?

If you don't seal the tray down to the floor first, THEN lay the flooring, splashing water will use that like the m25 to go under the tray and stay there. It's a huge no no. Flooring last so that when it needs changing it's only the vanity and loo to remove to do so.

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Your tray is going flat on the floor without legs yes / no?

If you don't seal the tray down to the floor first, THEN lay the flooring, splashing water will use that like the m25 to go under the tray and stay there. It's a huge no no. Flooring last so that when it needs changing it's only the vanity and loo to remove to do so.

Righto! Yes, tray is legless. I just didn't think it would make a big difference if the tray was sealed down to the chipboard directly vs sealed down to vinyl laid on top of the chipboard.

I was a bit concerned about what I would do when the flooring needed replaced- I was guessing that the fitter would have to cut away the old stuff.

So it's a no to going under the shower tray. What about the pan, skirting, etc?

Removing the loo, basin and skirting if the floor needs renewing is easy enough. A one day job start to finish. 

Cut the door frame with a multi tool and slide the flooring under it, then put you architraves on the flooring but just snug. You then fit the skirting and jobs a good 'un. Nowt between the tray and the floor, other than bond / flexible tile adhesive, very important that water doesn't get under there. When the floor is laid, a good wipe and a bead of clear CT1 all the way around the room from the floor to the tray, floor to skirting and it'll last you a lot longer. If water can find a way in, itll get in and wreck the job. Tenants won't care for it like you would, so just remember that.  ;)  

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You been to the pub ?

Not yet, I'm doing that later. As I told SWMBO, I have to go, even if it is a school night, since I owe them for a couple of pints from the weekend. It's a vicious circle :D

• Like 1