Hello

Plumbersmateuk

Hello to everybody.........first thing is have to put me 'ands up to being a lurker! for quite some time.

My nick is a joke as one of my friends is a plumber.

This place is so informative so many thanks to the posters.

I do have a plot which is in a conservation area and several TPO's. It's an ancient sandstone quarry approx 800 sq mtr, a bowl so not all the land is usable.
It is taking quite a long time (I have had the plot for 16 months) because I live 300 miles away.
I have planning for a two and a half storey house which does not conform to the local surroundings, (the council OKed it as it is obscured by trees along the boundry with the road)
I am trying to get my application for tree removal within the plot passed so I get a soil/ground survey carried out.
I have a structural engineer onboard so as soon as I can get a survey done I can get cracking with organising foundations etc..
I am going down the SIPs route, not passive but energy efficient etc.
I hope to do a lot myself to save some loot.

Well that's all for now folks....abuse gladly accepted

• Like 1

1st pic is east to west

2nd pic is west to east and as you can see a private service road is already there with gas, electicity, telephone and water sadly no sewer but that is in the main road.

3rd pic is south to north and as the plot is in the ground somebody has already built a sandstone retaining wall to the neibouring property.

4th pic wall is more visible

and a few misc ones

DSCF0428.JPG

DSCF0429.JPG

DSCF0439.JPG

DSCF0440.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

DSCF0441.JPG

DSCF0430.JPG

TBH I don't know why they have a green dot but all bar T6, T9, T12 I want to remove.

I have had an arboricultural report done and virtually all the trees were in poor condition apart from the ones that screen the road

I need to form a ramp to get equipment down and also to make room for the retaining walls, I don't want to tank and backfill.

The main road runs downhill N>S and where the service road joins is not much higher than the plot.

When I first viewed the plot I brought that up to a builder who looked at it with me and he felt that I would be able to join the sewer a bit further down.

I have got my fingers crossed but if I can't well so be it.

9 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

.abuse gladly accepted

Stand up straight, you 'orrible little man !

(Sorry .. spending too much time with Cadet Core type Sergeant people.)

Welcome.

That looks like my garden.

Edited by Ferdinand

Welcome.

A note of caution in terms of proximity to quarries. Made Ground, and Contamination. I am building right next to an old sandstone and clay quarry, and both these issues had to be dealt with.

A soil survey, as well as a topographical survey are key pieces of work to have done. They'll provide an evidence base for future decisions.

Good luck.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Had a site meeting (informal) with the councils arborist recently. He couldn't see why there would be any objections to removing the trees that I need to.

So today I have submitted my planning application for the removal of them, sit and wait with fingers X

13 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just say they're all dangerous. 

When they ask why you think so, just tell them "cos I went half way through each one late last night with my chainsaw" :D

Or, failing that, drill some holes with an auger bit right at the very base of the trunk and pour in some old battery acid.  That'll make the thing dangerous in no time.

This works for telephone poles that are in the wrong place and that you'd like moved free of charge, too - just don't drill holes, but dig out around the base of the pole a bit, tape a bit of heavy gauge polythene very tightly around the pole, just below ground level, then pour the battery acid in.  Within a few weeks the pole will have all the signs of having rotted at the point where they always rot, right at the soil surface.  Remove the plastic and tape and call the relevant utility company to report that you've found a pole that looks a bit rotten.  When the guys turn up to replace it, slip them a bit of cash to put the new one where you want it.  Works a treat if you only want a pole moved a few feet................

• Like 2

Around us developers always remove any ‘problem’ trees as long as not subject to TPO, before putting in planning application, usually at the weekend so the council cannot be contacted to slap TPO’s on them.  A good number of mature trees have disappeared that way, especially if blocking potential new entranceways, as housing plots subdivided.

50 minutes ago, Jml said:

Around us developers always remove any ‘problem’ trees as long as not subject to TPO, before putting in planning application, usually at the weekend so the council cannot be contacted to slap TPO’s on them.  A good number of mature trees have disappeared that way, especially if blocking potential new entranceways, as housing plots subdivided.

Funny old thing, but here's a Google Earth image of our plot (outlined in red), before we bought it and before we submitted planning.  The previous application had noted the large trees and suggested they needed to be retained, but at that time the plot was just outside the Conservation Area (literally, it ran along the boundary!) and none of the trees had TPOs.  The day we completed the purchase I had a tree chap in to fell them all, then submitted PP a week or so later.....................

59e87e9b0af6a_GoogleEarth.thumb.jpg.acc68e92d5b01e2c1f043dda0792f48f.jpg

My plot had 9 TPO trees on it and was impenetrably thick with self seeded multi stem rubbish trees. I negotiated with the Council tree officer to have 3 removed plus one which my arborist said was sick, leaving five [including one mature sycamore!!! and four limes]. Vide auchlossen.blogspot. I found the officials quite willing to negotiate. Their position seemed to be they wanted to preserve a green strip, and that was the purpose that the TPOs were designed to serve. The scrub trees they were not concerned about, and they appreciated that overly dense tree formation required thinning.

Well thanks for the tips Lol

My plot has two TPO's one from I believe the 50's and another the 90's.

There has been development to the rear of the plot as you can see in the previous pics so the council are well aware of what is or isn't there.

I have to say I am optomistic  as I have had no problems so far considering it is a conservation area.

The planners actually said, and in writing that they haven't a problem with what I want to build or the materials I use as the house will be screened, basiclly nobody can see it.

Still got me fingers X

A TPO from the 1950's may not be valid still as they were introduced in a later version of the TCPA. I would also hazard a guess that any tree that has stood for the last 60 years with no maintenance is in dire need of some significant work !!

TPOs can be removed - it needs an arb assessment and good reason, but under the DDD rules (dead, diseased, dangerous) you can do that work anyway with 24 hours notice.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

arb assessment

Done, I have managed to get a really good relationship going with the council and so far so good.

I told them that I new very little about the process and would they advise me along the way, which they have and all is looking good.

I just hope this is carried forward, can't see why not.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

(dead, diseased, dangerous)

Hmmmmm that's me in a few years

• 3 months later...

Just been chatting to @hmpmarketing about SIP's so I thought I would just update.

I didn't have to do anything naughty to the trees, I got the OK from the council to remove everything apart from the three big ones (two beech one scotts pine) between the lamposts.

The only condition is I replant four, which I really have no problem with.

From previous posts I have discussed the problem with living 300mls away and getting people to do the work. I have met 6 tree surgeons, some of which have actually given me quotes but all have just dissapeared. I now have it sorted by "The Backyard Barbers" who are taking everything out next week (which is fantastic 'cause the bird nesting season starts 1st March and I would have been snookered until September again).

I will visit and take some photos to post here next week for those who are interested

• Like 1