Passive window recommendations please

graeme m

I really like the internorm tilt & turn and was already familiar with them from living in Germany for several years where they are the norm. 

I didn't like the Rationel version that was on offered 2 years ago or so, they fix a sash within sash to achieve the function, which thickened the aesthetic and looked a compromise. If I'd have gone Rationel then would have gone top hung outward opening. 

Are you comparing like for like on those prices. If so I'd personally go with Internorm. While I felt that Rationel were good, I felt Internorm where a higher value product, and was very surprised to be able to get them at the same price. 

Edited by IanR

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Again @JamesP Interesting how the prices vary so much.  The quote we had, Internorm had a very slightly better Uw value than Rationel so if the prices are near identical that might sway it for Internorm?

It was 30K for Inter and 31.3K for Rationel including the extras. Both include fitting + vat.

3 hours ago, craig said:

Check installation, aluminium cills and so forth are included.

Rationel want another 5K for cills, tape, packers, survey etc. Also with tilt and turn they are limited to 1300mm width, we have 1500mm.  So top guided is an option.

1 hour ago, readiescards said:

I am impressed with the Internorm quality and air tightness (it is currently blowing a gale outside and it is quiet and still inside) but I'm still not a fan of tilt and turn windows though!

This is what I wanted to hear about. Do you use the tilt option much, issues with opening across the cill into the room etc. @IanR

Question, If I add a quote is the member notified? @ProDave

Edited by JamesP
spellin...

For me tilt'n'turn, inward opening is the best option. We have very little on our internal cills, and what we do is by fixed windows. 

We're always using the tilt function. Currently leaving some windows open 24/7 as we haven't commissioned the MVHR yet. We've had a small amount of water trickle in on one occasion when there were high winds and rain. Our windows are set quite deep into the reveal though. 

We also have external blinds on some of our windows, so inward opening simplifies the control of those, and having them tilted behind the closed blinds,  overnight, in the bedrooms is really nice. 

1500? It's a big single pane window, that's about 1300mm opening into the room when you deduct the sides.

Have you considered splitting it into two openers? One master tilt/turn one slave turn?

Edited by craig

27 minutes ago, craig said:

1500? It's a big single pane window, that's about 1300mm opening into the room when you deduct the sides.

Have you considered splitting it into two openers? One master tilt/turn one slave turn?

All our windows are single pane except 4m sliding and 2m kitchen window.  Internorm have quoted us for the 1500x1500, Rationel

have a max width of 1300mm.

3 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

All suppliers recommended us against TnT for the two 1550s we have,  so they are fully reversible. Work fine but a bit heavy.  We considered splitting but was not the look we wanted. 

DSC_2874.JPG

So are all your windows tilt and turn except the one above, if so is the external profile different to the others? Which company did you use, so many horror stories about delivery and fitting. I did help fit my brothers Nordica windows last year, not easy due to size and weight but doable.

European suppliers such as Internorm who have quoted you and other Austrian / German and amongst others, can and will manage 1500mm - the concealed hinges can handle a fair bit of weight. 

It's not that it's a size which is to big or to heavy, it's just a large single pane opening into the room.

Most suppliers recommend against it for a couple of reason, mainly weight related.

Edited by craig

38 minutes ago, JamesP said:

All our windows are single pane except 4m sliding and 2m kitchen window.  Internorm have quoted us for the 1500x1500, Rationel

have a max width of 1300mm.

So are all your windows tilt and turn except the one above, if so is the external profile different to the others? Which company did you use, so many horror stories about delivery and fitting. I did help fit my brothers Nordica windows last year, not easy due to size and weight but doable.

We have 4 fully reversible - two as shown because of weight, two upstairs are because we wouldn't be able to use the turn function - it would block a passageway. Profile wise that's a good question. Various is the answer! Not that many people would ever know but they are all different. Some out of necessity because of the different styles,  but we have two different profiles on what are effectively the same TnT windows. Our French doors downstairs are entirely different profile  to the inwards opening doors upstairs - I. E a completely different design. We went with Janex and had a lengthy catalogue of issues many of which never got resolved (we gave up and settled after 9 months). I wouldn't recommend them. The windows individually are lovely and high quality but as a package, they couldn't deliver the goods. Literally and metaphorically. 

I love our Internorm windows. All are tilt and turn. Very high quality product. Our windows are not particularly large but still the main downside is that if you want a blind or curtains then the windows come out beyond the reveal when they are wide open and get in the way, but if you only use the tilt option this isn't a problem. Upside is that they're really easy to clean.

42 minutes ago, JanetE said:

I love our Internorm windows. All are tilt and turn. Very high quality product. Our windows are not particularly large but still the main downside is that if you want a blind or curtains then the windows come out beyond the reveal when they are wide open and get in the way, but if you only use the tilt option this isn't a problem. Upside is that they're really easy to clean.

Thanks Janet, had Internorm visit this morning. Really love the quality its just the tilt and turn issue into the room.

If you open them a little do they stay in position or prone to swinging into the room?

Thanks for your advice.

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

My last understandin was that Internorm have an adjustable friction stay as part of the window hinge?

Quite possible. I'll have to look. Certainly our supplier/installer has never mentioned it but that might just be because they are incompetent and generally useless!! :D

• Like 1

No friction pad was ever explained/shown to me for my Internorms.

One other thing about the Internorm T&Ts: they are incredible loud (in window terms) to operate.  Lots of clanking of the internal mechanism.  This probably only matters if like me you sleep with the windows open and if it rains hard in the night you want to try and close the windows without waking the rest of the house. 

• 5 months later...

@mummyel without knowing more detail about your conversion it is very difficult for people to give advice, what are the insulation levels/targets, what are you targets for for windows/doors, how airtight....?  There is no point spending £6000 on a you can't bend it super insulated door if the rest of the house is at the same standard!