Passive window recommendations please

graeme m

You will get recommendations from me and probably others on here for Rationel.  Of all the windows I got quotes for, they were the cheapest, and the second best. The only ones that beat them in performance were internorm, at twice the price for a very small improvement in Uw values.  These were tripple glazed ali clad.

It does seem to vary a lot, and in spite of my internorm quote being so high, some have reported them to be the cheapest quality windows.

We have the Internorm aluclad upvc, triple glazed for our passivish build. Super quality and a similar price to Rational.  Got them from Ecohaus SW, who were very competitive, it depends what part of the world you're in, as the price of these does seem to vary according to supplier which is why I think there are some reports of how expensive they are.

Out of interest, we just had an attempted break in and the bas#ards had a real go at the French doors but didn't manage to get in, just damaged the doors with their crowbar.  Ecohaus have been helpful with repair quotes, it will be interesting to see how good they look afterwards.

We went for Internorm after looking at the Rationel, Ideal Combi etc. Internorm worked better for us. Cant comment on them in situ as they are overdue and currently our openings are covered in heavy duty polythene for weatherproofing.  Late delivery not

Internorm factory fault but a total mess up on the part of our local showroom. I wont rest easy until I actually get the windows in, paid a lot of money in deposit.......

Ditto went for Internorm. The product quality is great with good air tightness but we did have issues with order lead time due to factory shut down in summer.

However we wouldn't buy inward opening windows again. Daft idea. If it rains and you've left the window on tilt the rain can get in if the direction is wrong.

You can't put anything on the window cill cos it gets knocked off when you open it.  And there is no window stay so a little puff of wind and it blows fully open.

Be wary if you want a light colour clad as the drain caps to handle the rain that gets in the frame are black unless hand painted.

while giving a reassuring clunk when closing this clunk is rather loud in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

So many suppliers and so much choice, it comes down to what are you looking for and what do you want to achieve?

What type of window are you after, tilt turn, turn tilt/reversible/outward opening. My personal preference for ease of operation is turn tilt, those less abled bodied find it easier to operate.

Do you want supply only, or do you want a one stop shop (installation included).

Do you have large windows/sliding doors? Some suppliers may not be able to achieve the sizes required.

The rain issue mentioned above can happen on outward opening windows, just as much as inward windows.

The fact the windows blow open would indicate no restrictor catch was specified/fitted - this also happens on outward opening windows (blowing open).

Shop around, look at the different systems. Obtain some quotes and compare apples with apples.

10 hours ago, craig said:

The fact the windows blow open would indicate no restrictor catch was specified/fitted - this also happens on outward opening windows (blowing open).

Do Internorm offer a window stay/restrictor - we were never offered such an option

They did, we had them introduce it about 8 years ago for a project in Glasgow. As to whether they still offer it I don't know.

I can give you information on how to retrofit one, if needed.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, craig said:

They did, we had them introduce it about 8 years ago for a project in Glasgow. As to whether they still offer it I don't know.

I haven't found stays very effective given ours are often open and it can be a touch gusty, so I retrofit a bungie cord from Poundland once every year.

Having some bounce in the restrictor probably helps.

Edited by Ferdinand

No idea on Internorm stays I didnt think ask and they were not offered.  I'm just hoping windows turn up I can worry about stays when I hvae windows (retro fit option info welcome). 

I wanted inward opening, liked it when I had it in France.... fingers crossed German version is as good

12 hours ago, craig said:

Please, though bungy sounds useful option

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

No idea on Internorm stays I didnt think ask and they were not offered.  I'm just hoping windows turn up I can worry about stays when I hvae windows (retro fit option info welcome). 

I wanted inward opening, liked it when I had it in France.... fingers crossed German version is as good

It's not the 'turning up' that you need to worry about. It's the 'do they resemble my order?' and 'will the fitters feck them up?' that you need to worry about!! 

It's a very simple solution, the way the sash is designed makes it difficult to fit one due to space and the gearing.

However, what you need to do is purchase Mila restrictor, catch and then remove one of the screws located on gearing which fixes the gearing to the frame and won't effect the gearing movement.

The picture shows we used a mushroom pin, however that has been refined and we use the standard catch - it can only take one screw so gorilla glue is required for the 2nd screw location on the catch.

However, it needs to be this type of restrictor from Mila.

IMG_7023.thumb.PNG.65c54ca9f448646e90d11f11f2b01b14.PNG

IMG_7024.thumb.PNG.2090563ef2556f40b7beabf613060276.PNG

IMG_7025.thumb.PNG.a2122303b984375850e3135a399ae0b6.PNG

Until a a better solution is found, this is the best we have come up with and works extremely well and like it should be present.

Edited by craig
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, craig said:

It's a very simple solution, the way the sash is designed makes it difficult to fit one due to space and the gearing.

However, what you need to do is purchase Mila restrictor, catch and then remove one of the screws located on gearing which fixes the gearing to the frame and won't effect the gearing movement.

The picture shows we used a mushroom pin, however that has been refined and we use the standard catch - it can only take one screw so gorilla glue is required for the 2nd screw location on the catch.

However, it needs to be this type of restrictor from Mila.

IMG_7023.thumb.PNG.65c54ca9f448646e90d11f11f2b01b14.PNG

IMG_7024.thumb.PNG.2090563ef2556f40b7beabf613060276.PNG

IMG_7025.thumb.PNG.a2122303b984375850e3135a399ae0b6.PNG

Until a a better solution is found, this is the best we have come up with and works extremely well and like it should be present.

Thank you so much for sharing this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

It's not the 'turning up' that you need to worry about. It's the 'do they resemble my order?' and 'will the fitters feck them up?' that you need to worry about!! 

Oh please..... I am awake worrying about the wretched things half the night as it is!  Another worry now added.

Why are internorm so popular if there are so many problems or is it just the UK end of it that is rubbish?

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

Oh please..... I am awake worrying about the wretched things half the night as it is!  Another worry now added.

Why are internorm so popular if there are so many problems or is it just the UK end of it that is rubbish?

Sorry, I shouldn't add to your anxiety :( 

Your question is one that genuinely fascinates me. Internorm appear VERY aware of the issues they have with their volume supply chain partner(s) but seem somewhat disinterested in the issues. I can only assume it's a case of "we like the volume". To my mind they will slowly destroy their brand here in the U.K. But hey what do I know. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

Windows seem to cause more problems for many self-builders than any other single item, and Internorm are no worse than anyone else.

As @Barney12 says, the problem is with their suppliers, mainly.  We had a tough job getting our local Internorm supplier to quote, and when they did they got the spec wrong (twice).  Mind you, that same supplier is also a building company, and they were absolutely hopeless at getting us a quote; so much so that we just gave up on them, even though they were local to us.

8 hours ago, lizzie said:

Put simply, they have a fantastic product but like many manufacturers - they are let down by retailers and failings in their business model.

I can't see the model of stacking retailers high lasting long in the U.K., it may work in Europe but will fail here.

The exception to this is EcoHaus but they seem to concentrate on volume.

13 hours ago, craig said:

Put simply, they have a fantastic product but like many manufacturers - they are let down by retailers and failings in their business model.

I can't see the model of stacking retailers high lasting long in the U.K., it may work in Europe but will fail here.

The exception to this is EcoHaus but they seem to concentrate on volume.

I had a quote  from EcoHaus but I heard such dreadful reports of their fitters I went to another place closer to me.  All was great showroom manager great etc etc then 2 months later we hear he has been sacked and our windows have not even been ordered. The owner came to se us and said he would do everything he could to get them to us quickly but we have still been left with mbc frame with no windows. Im told the windows are here now and will be fitted on Monday, the sliders are at least a month away. 

So stressful, until they are all in I wont relax.