Thermostat for heating and cooling

dogman

While looking at options for my heating/cooling system i came across a dual thermostat.

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/products/7-day-programmable-touch-screen-thermostat-rth7600d.htm

Its american and i don't know if you can actually get them or even if it will work.

I need to look at it in more detail, and try to work out how the american programmers are configured but it may work with the sort of system design others have used on this forum where two thermostats are used.

Has anyone else looked at theses or similar products and figured out if they will work.

Do you want it to switch directly from heat to cool at a certain temperature? If so a single stat and a relay will do that. But I would have thought you want a "gap" between the heating switching off and the cooling turning on at a higher temperature?

These are designed to work with A2A heat pumps so if you wire them correctly then they will work for what you want.... The issue is the way the C/Y/R/W wires are configured on the stat, and what goes where.

Start with the manual here

This guy does a really basic guide to what wires do what - most US systems are 24v for AC and furnace controls so you can make these NV switches if you use the Rc as a common.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQiao-WUck 

I used the thermostat / controller from my ASHP manufacturer. It permits auto-heat off based on mean external temperature or auto-cool with a user-configurable gap in between. Simple 2-wire connection to ASHP.